P1443 How-To Fix

ryan97cobra

Thanks, I Workout
Established Member
Ok so after my fuel economy for the past couple months took a dump went from ~24 to 17 i decided to drive up to oreilly's and have my codes pulled. I had three codes P0420, P0430, and P1443. The first two didn't bother me since i just romped it the day before and i have an offroad pipe with MILs, however i searched on here and found that many people suffer from P1443.

Part Numbers you will need for parts to be replaced.
Solenoid ford PN# E6ZZ-9C915-A
or Borg Warner which i bought this kind from Oreilly's just to find that it was the Ford part packaged in a BWD box. PN# CP505 Cost : $45

Valve Ford PN# F57Z-14A606-BA
Same story here i bought the BWD part from Oreilly's to find the ford part number on it had been scratched off. PN# CP509 Cost : $23

Vapor Canister Ford PN# E2VY9D653A Cost : $81 from Rock Auto
I have not replaced this yet because i didn't want to dig into the fenderwell. I will be replacing the vacuum line that runs from the canister to the solenoid because its all cracked, and may end up replacing the canister too while I'm in there. Ill post a part number for Oreilly's when/if i pick one up.

The Solenoid and Valve are very easy to replace except trying to get 12 year old vacuum line loose in a tight space with big hands like mine. The vacuum line these are located on is attached underneath the back side of the throttle body under throttle cables if you look back there the stock vacuum line has a red stripe on it. Follow this line and the first thing you come to that is attached to it is the Valve, from the valve follow the line down along the firewall and the solenoid(at least mine) was resting way down under the A/C components in the corner. Those are the two most common causes of P1443, and hopefully replacing them will solve the problem if not the vacuum line continues on after the solenoid into the fenderwell to the Vapor Canister.

I also replaced the vacuum lines from the engine all the way to the solenoid. I also took the time to move the solenoid up and attach it in a safer place than just chilling down by the heat from the header.

I am going to post pictures of everything finished, i just need to get them off the camera and hosted.

So far after resetting the PCM i have completed a drive cycle and i went and pulled the codes after finishing and all the codes are gone.

Note: i did try resetting the PCM before i replaced anything to see if the codes came back and the P0420, and P0430 didn't but the P1443 did so hopefully the canister doesn't need replacing.

04V8Mustang

Established Member
So, did replacing the two parts and leaving the cannister alone resolve the issue? I have the same problem and need to eliminate the code to pass inspection. Thanks.

luke87gt

Established Member
I just went through this with my 96 Cobra recently. The P1443 code would spring up every few weeks for the past 6 months. I finally called Tousley Ford and ordered the purge sensor and solenoid which looks to have resolved the issue.

Be sure to inspect the lines first however.

Best of luck.

97SlickSerpent

Established Member
Thank god for this. Replaced both as well as lines. Seems to have resolved the issue. Now we wait and hope it doesn't return.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I had this same code come up on my 1998 Cobra, I found the problem and it was a hole in that vacuum line. I replaced the line but now my AC quit working, does anyone know why that would happen?

Users who are viewing this thread