Pretty sure the motor is toast....

StickShiftNoob

Established Member
Just wanted to get a few opinions to help confirm what I think happened....rather than to spend the time and money to have a shop break it down only to tell me I need a new motor anyways....

So the car has only been boosted for a few weeks so this happened quicker than expected.....stock motor, cpr kit on wastegate psi and e85 (not the kits fault....it did it's job).

Did a 2-3 pull....as soon as I got into 3rd I saw a huge white cloud of smoke behind the car....and shortly after the car died. I pulled over, and let the car sit...it billowed smoke out of the breathers for like 5 minutes. Next time trying to start the car it made a rough clunking sound, and then nothing. Now the car won't turnover or start at all. Just the starter buzzes now and that's it.

After it happened, there was oil under the car but not a ton. Dip-stick still reads in the acceptable area and coolant level is normal, and can't find any holes in the block from crawling under the car.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

StickShiftNoob

Established Member
So you don't blame the kit or the tune...what do you suppose caused the failure? Not trying to be sarcastic here...

"Made" :p
Either myself for thinking the BAP and injectors would be fine for low boost, or the motor just not handling the power.

Just trying to get a decent diagnosis from people with experience. As long as the heads are ok I'm hoping i can get a built short-block for it....thats my hope at least at this point.

fishpick

Established Member
Wastegate psi (7-8psi), e85, and JMS BAP with ID1000s

I'm trying to learn too - so don't take this like I'm being a tool - but I thought doing a BAP for e85 with ANY boost was a no-no and would always "sooner or later" run lean...

Also - how much fuel was in the tank when this happened... IF you were at the max of the BAP / injectors - and had very little fuel onboard - you COULD have had tank cavitation just enough to lean you out and make boom.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
time for a built shortblock.

probably smoked a rod or oil pump gears (which leads to broken rods and worse).

they'll only take so much...

Last edited:

StickShiftNoob

Established Member
I'm trying to learn too - so don't take this like I'm being a tool - but I thought doing a BAP for e85 with ANY boost was a no-no and would always "sooner or later" run lean...

Also - how much fuel was in the tank when this happened... IF you were at the max of the BAP / injectors - and had very little fuel onboard - you COULD have had tank cavitation just enough to lean you out and make boom.
I had a 1/4 tank at the moment it happened....i only did BAP and 1000s based on what I was told would be ok. Expensive lesson learned i guess....

fishpick

Established Member
I had a 1/4 tank at the moment it happened....i only did BAP and 1000s based on what I was told would be ok. Expensive lesson learned i guess....
1/4 should be enough... and I don't "know" anything - just being a parrot there...
Did you bounce off the rev limiter for that pull? If so - did you do OPG's? @gimmie11s has a valid point there.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Your best option for a cheap repair is a 2015 short block using your heads, cams, and valvetrain. Im afraid that most of the time a rod is thrown the valves make contact with a piston.

Its either lack of fuel or it was simply making too much power. Ive been lucky with making 700whp with a blower setup. Ive stopped driving the car until my short block gets built for fear of throwing a rod.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Even with some of the numbers people make on the stock motor, still a gamble. I've seen guys with stock internals make 700rwhp and 4 years later, its still alive. I've seen guys make 500rwhp and their motor grenade less than a year.
But after something like that, I def wouldn't have tried to start it. Sounds toast but time to make it stronger/better, if you can. You could find a low mileage stock 5.0, slap it in there and take that much power for awhile. Still a gamble. built will be best and sorry to hear OP.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Sorry man. I heard the same about e85 and Bap. I'm sure you listened to AED, he knows better than most here. If it was a stock rod coyote, you probably expected this, but hoped for the best. I'd follow slow306stang's advice for your next build. And for the other stock rod, FI, coyote owners out there, I'd do the same, and sell the working motor to off set the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread