Pretty sure the motor is toast....

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I went thru the same thing recently.... I bent the #8 rod. didn't cause any catastrophic damage but that was at 10 lbs of boost on 93/Methanol and them rice-crispy rods are not designed to hold that much power.... I knew I was pushing it but the coyote motor stock was about 380 hp. 11-14 coyote rods aint designed to handle double the stock hp

I was probably at 700 hp at the wheels. I'm now building a sleeved short block with some turbo cams. a well build sleeved short block is about $8-10k depending on options such as a billet crank etc....

u cud opt for a 15+ motor. it will handle more hp. they seem to be holding up to about 800 rwhp but after that ur rolling the dice....

StickShiftNoob

Established Member
I went thru the same thing recently.... I bent the #8 rod. didn't cause any catastrophic damage but that was at 10 lbs of boost on 93/Methanol and them rice-crispy rods are not designed to hold that much power.... I knew I was pushing it but the coyote motor stock was about 380 hp. 11-14 coyote rods aint designed to handle double the stock hp

I was probably at 700 hp at the wheels. I'm now building a sleeved short block with some turbo cams. a well build sleeved short block is about $8-10k depending on options such as a billet crank etc....

u cud opt for a 15+ motor. it will handle more hp. they seem to be holding up to about 800 rwhp but after that ur rolling the dice....
I'll send you a PM....want to get some more details.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Sorry for your loss OP. Were you running flexfuel? Running shit quality e85 on the "race" tune can grenade engines from detonation, which is consistant with forces that cause a snapped rod.

Last edited:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Sorry for your loss OP. Were you running flexfuel? Running shit quality e85 on the "race" tune can grenade engines from detonation, which is consistant with forces that cause a snapped rod.

What do you mean by crappy quality E85. If he was running a fuel that was E60 or so, the car would just run richer and would actually be safer. On the other hand if he was tuned on E60 and then ran E85 that could cause a lean condition, interesting point you brought up. OP, do you check your fuel at every fill up, or at least on the tank you were tuned on?

Then again these newer cars have the capability to adjust for whatever fuel you are running, I was using logic from my previous car.

Also, most of the tunes out there that are race tunes simply disable traction control.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
What do you mean by crappy quality E85. If he was running a fuel that was E60 or so, the car would just run richer and would actually be safer. On the other hand if he was tuned on E60 and then ran E85 that could cause a lean condition, interesting point you brought up. OP, do you check your fuel at every fill up, or at least on the tank you were tuned on?

Then again these newer cars have the capability to adjust for whatever fuel you are running, I was using logic from my previous car.

Also, most of the tunes out there that are race tunes simply disable traction control.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/flex-fuel-tunes-available-for-boosted-coyotes.1097907/

This.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I would imagine that the fuel quality would have to be pretty terrible for this engine damage to occur, but from what I have seen most lean conditions result in piston damage and not snapped rods in these engines. Detonation was the first thing that came to my mind.

StickShiftNoob

Established Member
This was only my 2nd tank of e85 in the car since boost.....it tested dead nuts 85. The tank it was tuned on was 80-82.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread