Rattle inside bellhousing at idle

96snake1

Established Member
So about 4 months ago i started hearing intermittent noises (rattle with some chirping) from inside the bellhousing of my t45 that would go away at times when depressing the clutch or on its own. Sometimes it wouldnt go away even depressing the clutch pedal.. now its worse, it does it all the time at very low rpm idle and goes away completely when i depress the pedal...no noises when in gears, no vibrations...could it be my input shaft?? Im praying its not.

96snake1

Established Member
It's your throw out bearing
I went ahead and ordered a new clutch kit and flywheel which i will install thursday or friday, so i will have a look at the transmission input shaft. Just really hopping i dont have have a bad trans, since ive read some stuff about bad input shafts on t45s..

nomoretickets

Established Member
Might as well replace the pilot bearing and rear main seal at this time.
^^^^^^^^^^

+1 on rear main seal replacement. if its not leaking already, it will be eventually. 100% it is going to happen. Did my clutch 2-3 years ago. Rear main was fine at that time. Just started with a small leak here at the beginning of this summer. Clutch has maybe 6000 miles on it so no where near ready to go again. You do not want to find yourself in the situation Im in of redoing all that work because you skipped out on a $30 fix when the tranny was already out.

96snake1

Established Member
Update!! Dropped the trans ( had to remove bank2 header) and it was in fact a bad throwout bearing. Clutch release fork was kinda worn too so i replaced it as well. Used a premium throwout bearing though, not the one that came with the clutch. New pilot, and rear main seal. Noise gone...

Users who are viewing this thread