Salvage Title Car: Anybody with any experience?

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Hey,

As title states, I am looking for a little guidance on salvage title cars. I am in the market to replace my Focus that was just totaled in an accident, and I have found a 2013 Prius C with 6k miles. The car was involved in an accident that caused damage to front fender/door, no frame damage, and owner decided to fix it after it was deemed a loss. He has all service records to confirm extent of damages and fixes, and the VIN confirms his story so far. I talked with him on the phone and he said he would be willing to go with me to get the vehicle inspection, so he doesn't seem shady (at least for now). He is asking $8,700, but I feel I could get him down closer to $8k or maybe less.

This will be my "daily" but I am already only working 3 nights a week, and I plan on leaving my current job soon and will be working from home. If that happens, I will only be putting MAYBE 80-100 miles a week on this car since I will also be getting a motorcycle for commuting around town.

I would obviously take the car to a reputable mechanic to have them look it over as best they can just to confirm there aren't more serious issues, and that the repairs were done correctly. From people who have experience, or have looked into buying a salvage car before, is there any advice you would give me?

Should I just stay away completely? For the price, it is very appealing to me if the cars runs well and doesn't appear to have any problems.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Just as a thought, salvage cars get their warranty cancelled. And hybrids usually have longer warranty on their battery pack. That probably won't have anything so if it fails you are looking at a few grand out of pocket to replace

5.0adam

Established Member
stay away. I work at a dealership and the money paid is never worth the hassle and value upon selling.... from experiences personally I guess.

oldmodman

Established Member
I bought a theft salvage Datsun in the 80's for my mother.

The car had been stolen and the entire interior stripped out. A local shop bought it and another wrecked one and swapped interiors. It was listed as salvage on the registration but I had seen both cars before they started work on them.

I got the car for a VERY reasonable price. It lasted for as long as she drove it until it got totaled in an accident. No running problems at all. She even got real blue book even though it was a salvage title. The other vehicle was a commercial vehicle and was found to bee 100% at fault.

But I would be wary about buying an electric/hybrid vehicle. If it was only minor bodywork and nobody had to move the wiring it might be OK. But if the engine/motor assemble was touched I would want it inspected by Toyota first.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I've had a lot of salvage title cars and bikes, but I tend to stay away from vehicles that are totalled in their early years of existence (i.e. when worth more, meaning significant damage).

That said, if taken to a reputable place and you have everything checked (including the 'frame') and it's been fixed right (which most of the time they are), I would consider it still. As pointed out above though, the warranty likely has been nullified if you're worried about things like that.

Also look into your states insurance laws and if you're able to insure it the way you'd like - in some states insurance companies won't offer full coverage on Salvage/R cars. And of course, IF you ever plan on selling it, plan on dealing with shitheads telling you it's only worth 20 cents on the dollar of it's clean title counterpart (reality is 60-65%).

nxhappy

Established Member
resale would be a bitch, I would stay away

for 8 grand you can find some decent low mileage cars

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
So I called a bunch of different shops today, ended up finding one shop where the guy was extremely helpful explaining the dangers of a salvage car. I was just calling for quotes on examining the frame of the car and the body repair-wok and he immediately started asking questions like

- Is he first owner of the car?
- Does he have pictures of the car before/after the accident?
- Does he have all service/repair records
- Does he have an accent? (meaning "Is he Mexican?", haha)
- etc

His main concern though was that people put used airbags, and sometimes even fake airbag sensors in the cars to save a big chunk of money on the rebuild. He buys salvaged cars time-to-time if the deal is right, so he was really wary of shady shit. Apparently his son screwed up and bought what he thought was a really good salvaged title car for $10k, and found out it was stolen and lost the $10k. Anyways, he was extremely helpful and talked to me for almost 30 minutes about being careful and offered to look over airbags, frame, and the entire body given that he has all the repair records. I would also have to take it to a Toyota Dealership to have the mechanical checked.

If EVERYTHING checks out, I might be willing to take a gamble for $6,500-$7,000. I have a couple other clean-title cars around the 10k mile range in mind so after hearing what some here have said, including the gentleman I spoke with today, I probably won't end up doing it unless the car is just about perfect and the seller is motivated to get rid of it.

jbs$

Established Member
The only reason to purchase a "salvage title" car is, if looking at the car, you are absolutely sure that you can sell the parts for a sizable profit if all else fails. Otherwise put both hands in your pockets and walk away.

josephcostello

Established Member
My dad bought a '91 miata that was stolen and stripped, put back together and then rear ended. My dad bought it for $585 with 55k miles. Tied both ends to our two trucks and used one to tug it on the rear. It didn't look perfect, but it looked decent and a new bumper fit on there fine. Car went strong w/ no problems for 2 years until we sold it for $1,700. Have heard stories of success and nightmares with salvage cars but i think it's a safe bet if the damage wasn't TOO bad. Just take a very good look at it and be very aware of what you're buying.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
To begin, no one buys a car because it's a "good investment". You only lose value on a regular car with age and mileage, whether salvage or not. (Unless you own a Terminator of course, they are exempt.. ;) haha)

I just recently (few months back) purchased a 2015 Ford Fiesta with 7,4XX original miles for $6,200 cash and it is about as clean as any other 2015 on the road. (Had the brakes and light cert. done on it + registration fees) Also Purchased (about half a year back) a 2014 Honda CRV with 9,1XX original miles for $11,000 cash (brakes and lights cert already included along with CHP verification). BOTH of these vehicles hold a salvage title and are in PRISTINE condition. Perfectly aligned, no lights, no problems, nothing.

I've been around the salvage vehicle game and repair game since i was in my very early teens due to how my father used to do this as a side business buying from Mercury Insurance salvage auctions up until around 2007-2008. If you know what you're looking for (extent of damage and whether or not a frame rail was ever affected/ how much it was affected/ how good the repair job is) then these vehicles are an absolute bargain.

cars.JPG

100% insurable and in a worst case scenario the insurance company will pay out 20% - 25% less for a car with a salvage title when compared to another car that does not hold one. (Negotiable with adjuster based on multiple variables. #AlwaysKeepRecentPhotosOfYourCars)

WITH THAT SAID, certain vehicles (like the one question) should require MUCH MORE inspection and caution as for they are not as straight forward and simple as most other cars. The idea of the cost of a Prius battery alone is scary to me.

In addition to this, MY OWN 2011 5.0 holds a salvage title. I purchased it over three years ago with 6,XXX original miles for $18,000 cash. No lights, not a single problem, and 100% stock. I've drag raced this thing at AAA Dragway dozens of times and I treat the thing like any other car. Oil changes and regular maintenance. 51,XXX miles on it today with no issues to speak of [not a single one coming from the MT-82 either ;) ] Do you think I wont be able to sell this thing (after returning it to stock) to someone for $11,000 a year or two from now? HA! In Southern CA where rust doesn't exist, of course i will!

5.0.jpg
^Purchased Early-Mid 2013.

Summing this up, if you know what to look for, and you know what you're talking about, Great quality Salvage Title vehicles CAN be had for a bargain. For those inexperienced with overall vehicle body I suggest you either bring an expert or look elsewhere.

Attachments

• cars.JPG
    cars.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 325

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
^Thanks for the detailed insight!

EDIT: Just noticed you were from Orange County too, nice!

Last edited:

greenscobie86

Established Member
^
Good info up top by ElCoyote.

I've bought and sold just about all of my vehicles(~12) with salvage titles and have never had any issues. Mainly buy from IAAI nowadays but used to buy from CoPArt back in the day. Definitely make sure you get good pictures of the damage before the car was repaired, if the seller cannot provide them(he should be able to) then you might want to think about looking elsewhere.

I totally agree that salvage title cars bought from auctions can be some of the best bargains around.

Last edited:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I have owned a number of salvage title vehicles.
As has been said, they can be a bargain , but with the internet , and the carfax.com group ,don't expect to resell without some grief.

If the car is to be a personal driver, like elcoyote , you can get some very good deals.

I buy and sell a few cars here and there , but because of the societal mis information .....dumb shits , I stay away from any that are branded.
There are 2 kids dsl of branded titles here , maybe elsewhere as well , Salvage, and Totaled .
Your guess is as good as mine as for a definitive definition for the 2.

With the amount of miles you plan to drive , and cash you have, just look into a clean title car .

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
As of now I have some options on good clean-title cars under 15k miles and between $8,500-$10k, some with warranties. Definitely leaning that way as of now, but still going to take a look at the car.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
what cars are you looking at brother?

Looking at a 2014 Fiesta 4-door Hatchback and a 2015 Fiesta SE sedan, both under 15k miles good condition and almost no visible wear. Here are a couple pictures of the 2015 that I prefer (going to look at it today):

00y0y_4q52SJPdWfA_600x450.jpg

00R0R_gQEFSkkAvl9_600x450.jpg

Then there are a couple dealerships around me that have some different models under 15k miles for $10k or less. I like the Fiesta Sedan though, he is asking $9,500 I think I could get it cheaper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread