SCT Tuning with a high octane gas

SVT Lightning2003

Hi, first thread. long time reader as a guest.
I have an 03 Lightning, mod'ed up with the usual stuff before the internals get done. i have it dyno tuned for 91 octane pump gas and for 94 octane pump gas from the shop. my research on the use of the sct x3 that i have for the truck has shown that using a higher octane fuel will allow me to change the settings on the global spark by as much a +4 for the use of higher octane fuels. we have a local shop (afd petroleum) that makes the race fuels for the local circuit up to 120octane and i think higher for special applications. they do have pumps at the facility though that pump sl99 fuel at a mere $3.24 litre.
my question is easy i think but i thought i would ask the group before using it in my truck.

if i program the truck with the 94 octane program and then add a +4 to the global spark thus allowing me in theory (according to research) to run at 98 octane (99 actual) without losing the benefits of a higher octane fuel, will the result be the tune be what i need for driving using the program settings at 94 on the 99 fuel?
OR
Should i book an entirely new dyno appointment and have it completely re-tuned at the 99 octane level which the truck will be running on from now on?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think you have to take into account what the stoich is for the race fuels as well. I know some of them require a different A/F. Similar to gas vs E85. At least in my research. Ideally I would get a tune written for the gas you plan on running. But you could always try adding the spark after mixing fuel and listening for detonation. I wouldn't add all 4 degrees at once though. I'd work up to it.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I'm very leery of using global spark adders, but if you want to go that route, stick with slo984now's advice and only bump it a degree at a time.

decipha

Established Member
log your spark advance at wot and post back here, that will determine if its safe or not

also need to know how much boost its making

01yellercobra

Established Member
i'm currently at +3 global spark with no issues. i borrowed a mechanics stethoscope to monitor for ping noises. its running strong so i may not go to +4, no need to max it out.

Unless you're using the stethoscope at WOT I don't think it's going to help. That's where you need to be mindful.

Users who are viewing this thread