Shaftmasters ds questions (noise)

Famine

Established Member
So a bit of the back story, about maybe a year ago, I ordered the driveshaft to go on with the gears for my at the time, n/a manual 5.0. Everything was pretty good and I heard nothing that I can recall in terms of noise. I almost immediately had to take some temporary work away from where I was living at the time, so I left the car garaged for 7 months while away. I came back and it was winter, so still not driving it, and then had to relocate 1600 miles away so I pulled the car on a trailer to her new home here in SC. I finally got back to driving it and heard rotational noise (speed based) and was like wtf. I took the car to check the balancing on the tires, etc to no avail. I'm wondering if it is in fact, the driveshaft and if so, is there anything I can do? I can't simply contact shaftmasters since it was such a long time ago since I had it thrown on. If it's not the driveshaft, I have no clue what else it could be. I would love to eliminate that noise though because it's driving me nuts. Could camber/caster/toe be a possible culprit also? I have an m/m cc kit on the way to ensure that's dialed in correctly; is that going to add some new bs noises to the car, does anyone know (hoping not, since I'm easily annoyed). Any suggestions on what else to look for and what could be done?

fuelforfire87

Established Member
You should check your pinion angle. I have the shaftmasters shaft as well and it has always made some noise

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
With the car sitting for so long, could condensation have gotten into the U-joints and caused some surface rust inside the bearings themselves? How many miles have you put on it since parking it?

Famine

Established Member
With the car sitting for so long, could condensation have gotten into the U-joints and caused some surface rust inside the bearings themselves? How many miles have you put on it since parking it?

I cant imagine that happening. Never sees water. Maybe 2k miles. Car only has a total of 8k miles.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Is your car lowered at all? If at stock height swapping the ds should have no effect on the pinion angle. The stock shaft has a cv joint in the middle and allows it to function well with crazy changes to pinion angle from lowering. A one piece shaft is much more sensitive to pinion angle changes , but if it was out of spec then you would likely be feeling driveline vibration, not just noise. Anyways now that I think about it its probably not a pinion angle thing, With the lighter weight aluminum shaft it transfers more driveline noise to the cabin. Are you sure you had no noise when you first installed it?

Famine

Established Member
Is your car lowered at all? If at stock height swapping the ds should have no effect on the pinion angle. The stock shaft has a cv joint in the middle and allows it to function well with crazy changes to pinion angle from lowering. A one piece shaft is much more sensitive to pinion angle changes , but if it was out of spec then you would likely be feeling driveline vibration, not just noise. Anyways now that I think about it its probably not a pinion angle thing, With the lighter weight aluminum shaft it transfers more driveline noise to the cabin. Are you sure you had no noise when you first installed it?

Im not 100% sure thanks to the loud ass roush exhaust i used to have on it. I am lowed 1.5". Uca was set before switching to the ds.

Users who are viewing this thread