Speed Trap In Village of Brice in Hamilton Ohio

May93

Established Member
If you want to see a perfect example of how speed cameras can be misused look up "The Village of Brice" in Hamilton Ohio. The fact the cameras could be used for safety issues are always over shadowed because of small towns or villages such as these.

They've created their own Civil Violation Hearing System so that the money is shared between them and a Company out of Tennessee. This after the Mayors Courts were shut down by the State for reasons such as this.
They even got involved with kick backs from the local towing companies and found themselves in hot water.

My daughter received a "civil speeding violation" by mail last month from this same Village. I told her she needs to slow down but she honestly didn't have any idea of when or where she was speeding at. Not sure where safety is created with a ticket that arrives weeks later in the mail.

To clarify this is not a dig on Law Enforcement at all. She was speeding and paid the fine however the camera type of speed enforcement is not about safety but instead revenue.

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't go through such places. Let them dry out and die on the vine.
Don't patronize their businesses. Go as far out of your way to bypass them as you need. Then write a letter to each and every business in the town to let them know why they are going out of business.
Publicize their speed trap everywhere you can. Make sure that as many people know about them as you can.

May93

Established Member
Don't go through such places. Let them dry out and die on the vine.
Don't patronize their businesses. Go as far out of your way to bypass them as you need. Then write a letter to each and every business in the town to let them know why they are going out of business.
Publicize their speed trap everywhere you can. Make sure that as many people know about them as you can.

They've been at it for years now but seeing as they target those passing through it doesn't effect the locals much. Without the money from the speed cameras I doubt the Village would even exist. I myself have no reason to pass through however my daughter used the route due to other roads being closed at the time.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I was lucky enough to receive a speed camera ticket going through New Miami, Ohio, 4-5 years ago. We paid the $95 but probably shouldn't have.

"New Miami’s former speed program was deemed unconstitutional in 2014 when a Butler County judge banned its use and granted the case class-action status, meaning thousands of other motorists who had been cited could join a lawsuit and seek a legal remedy.

Engel said they will be heading back to see Judge Michael A. Oster Jr.

“We’re going to ask Judge Oster to enter a judgment of about $3 million in favor of the motorists who paid into this unconstitutional program,” he said. “The village represented in court that it had about $1.2 million available to pay the judgment in this case, and we expect them to maintain those funds as available to pay the inevitable judgment.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...cal-speed-camera-case/q6nbjKtptjL6614PRYKbFJ/

http://www.journal-news.com/news/lo...mera-settlement-talks/eDPyJ94F1cnm28H0WX1wGJ/

May93

Established Member
I was lucky enough to receive a speed camera ticket going through New Miami, Ohio, 4-5 years ago. We paid the $95 but probably shouldn't have.

"New Miami’s former speed program was deemed unconstitutional in 2014 when a Butler County judge banned its use and granted the case class-action status, meaning thousands of other motorists who had been cited could join a lawsuit and seek a legal remedy.

Engel said they will be heading back to see Judge Michael A. Oster Jr.

“We’re going to ask Judge Oster to enter a judgment of about $3 million in favor of the motorists who paid into this unconstitutional program,” he said. “The village represented in court that it had about $1.2 million available to pay the judgment in this case, and we expect them to maintain those funds as available to pay the inevitable judgment.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...cal-speed-camera-case/q6nbjKtptjL6614PRYKbFJ/

http://www.journal-news.com/news/lo...mera-settlement-talks/eDPyJ94F1cnm28H0WX1wGJ/

The fine for speeding is now $125.00 so as December of 2016 they haven't slowed down. Ohio Law evidently now allows a "full time" Police Officer to man the speed cameras being used. The ticket my daughter received has an officer and the Chiefs signature. I suspect they're using part time employees to operate the camera that the Chief then signs as the full time employee. I'd definitely be interested in any info you have. Thanks!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The fine for speeding is now $125.00 so as December of 2016 they haven't slowed down. Ohio Law evidently now allows a "full time" Police Officer to man the speed cameras being used. The ticket my daughter received has an officer and the Chiefs signature. I suspect they're using part time employees to operate the camera that the Chief then signs as the full time employee. I'd definitely be interested in any info you have. Thanks!

At $125 a pop, nailing 5 people a day would probably more than pay for a full time employee or two to man the speed cameras.

May93

Established Member

It would be nice to see the State just step in and shut them down. Currently they're using a Police Officer who just sits there and uploads the info to the camera supplier who mails you the ticket. Only now its $125.00 per violation. Maybe its time to hold the Mayor and Chief responsible.

Users who are viewing this thread