Squeal from clutch when leaving from a stop

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Hey all,

Just finished putting my redfire Cobra back together after two years.

I bought it with a lot of mods and a busted engine. Feels great to finally have it going. Still working some kinks out, though.

While on a test drive yesterday, I noticed that from a stop, as I try to get the car moving forward, if I give it a bit too much throttle, I get a nasty squeal from the clutch area.

The vehicle has a higher level spec clutch setup, clutch material appeared to be metal and not any kind of fiberous material.

None the less, I also installed a new tob and pilot bearing so I'm really hoping it isn't that. The vehicle still has the factory quadrant setup and no adjust ability.

Do you guys think this is something I can get away with via adjustment or should I check to see if my TOB or pilot bearing is bad?

Thanks!

keith89

Established Member
clutch might be glazed from too much slippage? Did you install the clutch or did it come on the car? I would definitely get an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster though. I have a spec 3+ and it does not like to slip. It's like an on/off switch compared to the spec 2+ i had previously. However, it does not make any noises other than chatter if i do not pull away properly.

Zemedici

Established Member
I hate spec clutches and wouldn't put one in an enemies car. My car has a similar symptom, figure it's just something going on with the TOB, and I'll drop the trans eventually and fix it.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
A full metallic/sintered iron clutch will do that. Either pay up and get a twin disc that may or may not hold the power, or get a proper single disc that will hold the power level you seek. If it's something like a Spec 5, it's probably not going away. It's part of the clutch characteristics.

I love Spec clutches BTW. Spec 5 going in tomorrow.

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Despite having the clutch inspected, I believe the sound may be from some of the glazing on the aluminum flywheel and pressure plate. The clutch kit did come with the car, but I don't have any previous experience with Spec.

The last time I started the car up, I had some clutch noise at idle which was a first. Based on these issues and the fact that I just pulled the transmission from my yellow Cobra, I'm going to move the clutch over to that car and find something new.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Users who are viewing this thread