SVTP Oil Filter Examinations Starting Back Up

If you want the best filtration, yet still flow with the best, the Amsoil EaO11. It's confirmed to be 98.7% efficiency @ 15 microns. In comparison, the Ford Motorcraft FL820 is only 80% efficient @ 15 microns. I'm unsure about this spec for the Ford Racing 820 though.

Sid, do you have that spec?

Thank you for that great info Troy. :beer:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
The Amsoil is def one of the better ones, but a bit on the expensive side.

if you find some one to hook you up at dealer /wholesale cost its less than the RP filter.

my local napa sells the Amsoil filters @ cost.

Blwn351L

Established Member
Hey guys, I'll put my two cents in just in case someone has the same problem I just had. All my years with stangs and Lightnings I have used motorcraft filters, but just had $100 worth of oil blow all over my shop floor because of two motorcraft filters spliting at the seam, right at start up on a brand new motor. Weird. Yes. I was freaked out that my new motor had problems already. So oil change number 3, I Stuck a fram filter on, not a problem. Started up, ran, reved. Im not sure if I will go back with a motorcraft filter after this.

I also was doing some research and found out Im not the first one to have this problem this year. My engine builder said he heard they changed the 820S's and made them different, shorter for more clearance, maybe a different place is making them. Just thought I would post what happen with two motorcraft filters in row.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey guys, I'll put my two cents in just in case someone has the same problem I just had. All my years with stangs and Lightnings I have used motorcraft filters, but just had $100 worth of oil blow all over my shop floor because of two motorcraft filters spliting at the seam, right at start up on a brand new motor. Weird. Yes. I was freaked out that my new motor had problems already. So oil change number 3, I Stuck a fram filter on, not a problem. Started up, ran, reved. Im not sure if I will go back with a motorcraft filter after this.

I also was doing some research and found out Im not the first one to have this problem this year. My engine builder said he heard they changed the 820S's and made them different, shorter for more clearance, maybe a different place is making them. Just thought I would post what happen with two motorcraft filters in row.

It's due to the thin wall can used in the production of the 820. What do you expect for a $3.67 filter. :shrug:

IMO, you can also make a much better choice than FRAM. Wait to see the results of this thread, and you decide.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

If you're popping Motorcraft filters you'll probably end up doing the same. If you need a better built filter, and it appears you do, and need it fast you should be able to pick up either a K&N or a Mobil 1 at just about any auto parts store.

02SSilverGT

Established Member
Great idea for a thread! Here's a link to another oil filter study. After reading some of the comments here, I think some will find the results interesting. Given the study from the link, it appears Motorcraft filters are a Purolator One filter, which appear to be pretty good. The Napa Gold appears to be a WIX, which also is good for the most part. I use both. Of course, like others have said...stay away from Fram.

Engine Oil Filter Study

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I seen that a few years ago...
then I got the date off the bottom of the page

Copyright © 1996-2000 Russ W. Knize

lets see if anything has changed in the last decade

Shady,

a LOT has change since that test was performed. Many of those filters have been updated with different materials and specification. It's no longer a valid source for selecting an oil filter.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
When are the result going to be up? Anyone know?

It's going to be a while. This is a very time intensive process and time is a very limited commodity for me.

I seen that a few years ago...
then I got the date off the bottom of the page

Copyright © 1996-2000 Russ W. Knize

lets see if anything has changed in the last decade

There's no way it's that old. Royal Purple and a few others of those filters we not even available then.

bullitt15

Established Member
If you want the best filtration, yet still flow with the best, the Amsoil EaO11. It's confirmed to be 98.7% efficiency @ 15 microns. In comparison, the Ford Motorcraft FL820 is only 80% efficient @ 15 microns. I'm unsure about this spec for the Ford Racing 820 though.

Sid, do you have that spec?

99% at 20 micron

Info on Ford Racing Oil Filter - Bob Is The Oil Guy

post #1687061

hefty little cans, i've got two in my closet.

Users who are viewing this thread