T56 or T56 Magnum opinions

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Well I have a Terminator engine swapped in a new edge making 500-550Tq (e85 posi etc). Right now has a TKO600 from an old setup in it and today lost 3rd in a weird way, stuff plinking around inside, long story short done with this transmission.

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here, a T56 seems to be the next logical step. I'm looking for opinions on getting a built T56 from Promotion or the like, or just go all out with a Magnum. Only just started looking into it since up until today I thought I was ok. I have seen the Magnums aren't exactly bolt in? Obviously need something with a 26 spline like I have now, I have a 31 spline yoke, but a yoke barely computes in cost. Not sure about driveshaft issues have to figure out what length is in there now, needed a spacer for the tko but they're short. Trying to get a handle on what's reusable and what's not.

Magnum seem to have great shift quality etc but not looking for a new can of worms. Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences welcomed.

Last edited:

usmc320

Established Member
The Magnum should fit with a little massaging. Nothing serious. I had a new driveshaft made to fit. I went from a T56 to a T56 Magnum.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Thanks for the info, looks like in fact my 31 spine TKO yoke is the same one for the Magnum. Trying to locate a bellhousing on here and a local place to shorten my DS. Doesn't seem to be too bad, have to look into the reverse lockout. Brothers Performance has a 10% coupon going which is good for a 3K purchase, think that's the best deal right now.

Trying to do it somewhat economically, didn't forsee this expense but if I'm going T56 might as well go Magnum. Cheaping out on the TKO is what got me here in the first place.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the reverse lockout can be handled a couple of ways, Ive heard (but have no proof) that not having some kind of solution is bad for the trans over the long run.

you can

1) run a wire to the brake light output switch (only thing with this is when you go to say, slow down in 6th gear and downshift to 5th, if you arent paying attention reverse is in the realm of possibilities).

2) wire in a switch instead of using the brake light

3) buy a reverse lockout controller (itll splice into the vehicle speed sensor, power, ground, and reverse lockout). This way itll only go into reverse when you have your foot on the break and are doing something like 3mph or less.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah, did some research today the reverse lockout doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

The clutch I have in there now only has 1000 miles and is 26 spline so have to confirm that will be compatible as I would like to reuse it. Also have to see what the deal is with the cross member don't want to have $500 worth of little unforseen expenses.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah, the D&D kit is nice but I can get the transmission for $2700 and the $1000 for the bell, cross, and shaft is a bit much. A shop around the shop will shortern and balance mine for $100 and can get a used T56 bell on here for $200+- and reuse my stock cross or stifflers piece for $150.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you need a driveshaft loop the stifflers bolt in DS loop is a nice piece and would be the perfect time to do it.

Dont forget about the adjustable pivot ball...although it seems to depend on your flywheel and clutch/PP combo as to what you need. With the Ford steel flywheel and RXT dual disc I had to shorten it a bit.

also with mine, the pass side front bolt for the shifter was hitting the trans tunnel, a bolt with a lower profile head was sourced from the hardware store and fixed that issue.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
if you need a driveshaft loop the stifflers bolt in DS loop is a nice piece and would be the perfect time to do it.

Dont forget about the adjustable pivot ball...although it seems to depend on your flywheel and clutch/PP combo as to what you need. With the Ford steel flywheel and RXT dual disc I had to shorten it a bit.

also with mine, the pass side front bolt for the shifter was hitting the trans tunnel, a bolt with a lower profile head was sourced from the hardware store and fixed that issue.

Thanks for the info I'll make sure to double check the shifter bolts. As for the pivot ball definitely going to do some research on that. I would REALLY like to not have to drop it after install due to pivot ball length. I'm running a RAM HD right now but TBH not 100% on the make of the fly which shoukd make it interesting.

What do you guys do, bolt the bell in and then temporarily bolt in the transmission and cable and check travel? I do 90% of my own work but this will be my first transmission R&R on this car. But reusing the clutch it seems pretty straight forward, the pivot/TOB/fork seems to be the only thing I could screw up. The rest seems to straight forward bolton minus any clearance issues.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, officially ordered it and picked up a clutch housing from 99cobrajn. Any additional install info if is still appreciate. Only want positive information now though, just kiding, but made the plunge and hope this was a good decision.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Figured I'd post an update to close the thread. Got the Magnum in over the weekend. Didn't need much work, had to pry the sheet metal up a bit by where the shifter is and whack a spot or two for easier install and to make sure there's no contact. First time pulling the transmission, time consuming but nothing too tricky just a few hard to reach bolts.

Shifting is amazing after going from a notchy pain in the ass TKO (even with upgraded synchros etc), night and day. Plus I love the longer 2.66 1st vs the 3.27 TKO first, also the gear between 4th and OD is very convenient.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah, I did, I had a FRPP aluminum not cobra so it was way too long (45.5). Local place did it for $85 looks like a good job and balanced well no vibration. I went with 42.5" center to center, could have probably got away with 43, but 43.5 (Cobra length) would have been close but the yoke would have been right up against the seal. Lost about 1/3 of an inch spline engagement at this length from where I was. Not worried about it, I have a 5/8 spacer from the TKO I could put on if I felt it was needed. I have a SRA if anyone reads this for info down the line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread