The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
1/2 coil all around and 1 front iso removed. Heres some new pics. I want it lower....

36362003_Ford_Mustang_side2-1.jpg

36362003_Ford_Mustang_side1.jpg

That looks SICK.:rockon: Are those the stock wheels with 10.5's out back?

Btw is it just me or does the car look lower in these pics than the ones from page 1 when you first lowered it?

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
That looks SICK.:rockon: Are those the stock wheels with 10.5's out back?

Btw is it just me or does the car look lower in these pics than the ones from page 1 when you first lowered it?

Stock 9" wheels on all 4 corners with 30mm spacers in the rear. I guess it did settle a little more than it did after I first cut them.

945LSTANG

Established Member
while doing the rears, do you remove the IRS bolt from one side or from both sides at the same time? i miss the simplicity of my old solid axle.

Jefe

Established Member
while doing the rears, do you remove the IRS bolt from one side or from both sides at the same time? i miss the simplicity of my old solid axle.

Both at the same time otherwise the entire IRS assembly wont drop as one.

945LSTANG

Established Member
Both at the same time otherwise the entire IRS assembly wont drop as one.

yeah i figured it out. thanks!

i ended up cutting 3/4 coil and am decently happy with it. the fronts didn't really settle at all but the rears settled a good bit. i was happily surprised. i'll try to get some pics up a bit later.

btw...i enjoyed doing the fronts a lot more than doing the rears. i hate the damn IRS. it wasn't hard, but the spring swap on my old solid axle was quite a bit easier.

Jefe

Established Member
Ya give it a week and see if it drops some more. I wound up taking an ISO out of the front because I didnt think it dropped enough either and didnt want to cut more...

945LSTANG

Established Member
3/4 coil on all four corners with all isos still in place.

cell phone pic, but you get the idea.

IMG00029-20100404-1813.jpg

945LSTANG

Established Member
Looks good! How long did it take you?

a little more than half a day. i gave it a few days to settle before taking some pics. i ended up having to remove the cat back which was kind of annoying. i didn't need to disconnect the tie rod or use a spring compressor. overall, it wasn't a very difficult project at all. i would recommend it to anyone with some air tools and a decent tool box. :rockon:

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Way too much! Did you ask why? It only takes a couple hours max.

You might as well buy aftermarket springs and have them installed if its gonna cost that much. Have any buddies near you with tools that can help? I only cut mine because of learning process dropping the IRS oh and it was free. If you dont have the tools or dont want to do it yourself post up on this site and see if anyone by you can lend a hand or their garage

scooterposse

FRRRRRRRRRUNKIS
Established Member
thanks for all the info and the help you have put in this thread. after thinking about it im going to go buy the tools and learn for myself. seems to be straight forward, anything i should know before i start. and Jefe, thanks again.:beer:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
No need to remove the tie rod ends, they will come out just fine without doing that in the front.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Hey guys, I have a 2001 Cobra. Can I use this write-up for my car as well? What would the differences be?

Spoolx

Established Member
Well I just ordered my wheel spacers from lethal, gonna attempt lowering my car with this method.. I was thinking half coil in front and maybe an inch or so past half on the rear.. how does that sound?

Jefe

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a 2001 Cobra. Can I use this write-up for my car as well? What would the differences be?

Should be almost identical
Well I just ordered my wheel spacers from lethal, gonna attempt lowering my car with this method.. I was thinking half coil in front and maybe an inch or so past half on the rear.. how does that sound?

Almost exactly what I did but I took out an ISO up front. If I had to do it again I would cut the same front and rear and leave the ISOs in. 30mm spacers?

Users who are viewing this thread