The Complete How To Cut Your Stock Springs Thread

Jefe

Established Member
10.5's you may not. They should fill in nicely.

New pics with 18" wheels:

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
When I had my IRS I had 10.5 with Nitto 315s on the rear and IMO it set just perfect. The tire was kind of narrow (which nittos are) but other than that I didnt think it need a spacer at all!

Huckleberry06

Established Member
When I had my IRS I had 10.5 with Nitto 315s on the rear and IMO it set just perfect. The tire was kind of narrow (which nittos are) but other than that I didnt think it need a spacer at all!

Being a GTO owner, the bolded phrase cracks me up. I'd have to do a mini-tub to get 315s in the rear. Damn you guys.

03TermiCobra

Established Member
Just did my fronts tonight and will be doing the rears tomorow. The guide worked awesome. With a little mechanics skill you can probably do it without a guide. I decided on 3/4 up front but not sure on the rear yet? maybe just a half or would you suggest 3/4? chime in guys!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Try it and see if you like it, you can always cut more, but can`t add...I did 3/4 and one full coil, ended up taking it apart again and cut another 1/4 coil to make it one full coil all around.

03TermiCobra

Established Member
I just finished up. Ended up not even having to touch the exhaust at all. Didn't even take it off the hangers. Just took a little bit of prying but we go her to work. I did strip the 2 IRS bolts tho and the brake line that bolts to the A arm on the passenger side broke the head of the bolt off. Other than that it was a great success.

ironman_jk

Established Member
The rear coil springs on my 97 Cobra have a different design than the Terminator springs. They look like the Ford Racing B springs like the pic on this page

FMS-M-5300-B

How do I cut them? I cut off a 1/2 coil on the fronts and was going to do the same to the rears. I know to cut the top, but I have two concerns. First, cutting from the top coil will be removing the flat portion of the spring. Will the spring sit in it's perch okay with this removed? Second, a half coil from the rears does not appear like it will be equal to a half coil removed from the fronts.

Any help is appreciated.

ironman_jk

Established Member
Oh, this isn't a picture of my actual spring. I just used this picture from summit to illustrate the flat portion.

froggerlives07

Established Member
Am I supposed to cut from the top or bottom on the rear coils...some people have said top and some bottom...

Users who are viewing this thread