Throwing Code on ALL ignition coils

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Hey weird sudden issue. The car runs perfect, but twice now when the car was and I start driving it, it will throw the SES light and the codes indicate a fault on all 8 ignition coils A thru H. Again, though, no drivability, or misfire issues, just throws the codes. I clear them and it drives fine, since its happened a second time now, I know I have some sort of problem. ECU/Ignition system is 100% stock. Lots of boost and fuel mods running fine for many years.

Any ideas?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Has anything changed on the car recently? Have you done any welding on the car? Coil driver on the PCM may have take a dump....

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
No, I have not done anything to it, its been solid and reliable for many years and I have not done any new modifications or major work in over 2 years, just basic maintenance. It was sitting for a few months this past winter and as I started driving it again this started happening. Is there a way to test the coil driver? Really appreciate the help. Something had to have just failed, can't be self inflicted based on the history.

MG0h3

Established Member
The fact that you have zero drive ability issues is surprising to me.

You don't get a hiccup or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
What are the exact codes you are getting? Wonder if you are having a voltage/charging problem just enough to set the fault but not cause any symptoms...

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
What are the exact codes you are getting? Wonder if you are having a voltage/charging problem just enough to set the fault but not cause any symptoms...

Ignition Coil Fault PrimarySecondary A thru H
P0351
P0352
P0353
P0354
P0355
P0356
P0357
P0358

MG0h3

Established Member
Like mentioned before Id look at something upstream from the coils; all of them failing simultaneously is not likely at all.

Kindof thinking the same. Maybe the circuit fails for just an instant when you start the car or something.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Like mentioned before Id look at something upstream from the coils; all of them failing simultaneously is not likely at all.

Kindof thinking the same. Maybe the circuit fails for just an instant when you start the car or something.

Yep - agreed. I have no idea where to even start troubleshooting though. Any ideas? Is there a schematic out there and a diagram showing where things are located?

MG0h3

Established Member
I dont have one handy but maybe look at the ground. Id almost lean towards a coil driver acting up like Juiced said. Id think if the ground (if separate for just coils) would cause a mis. Not sure if the driver is in the pcm or gem on our cars. Not a very common failure; least Ive never heard of it.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Yep another guy I spoke with offline said start looking at grounds... But honestly have no clue where the coils are grounded to.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
The coils all share the same Power/Voltage source which comes from the CCRM. The coil driver is built into the PCM which sends the ground signal. My guess is, the CCRM power supply acting up, or some kind of issue on the wire powering all the coils (loose, mouse chewed, corroded on the connector etc). The CCRM is located in the passenger front fender, behind the wheel liner. Check the large connector at the back of the engine bay on the passenger side with the 10mm bolt on the top, this is the most easily accessible thing for you at the moment. Make sure that is tight, if it is, remove it, make sure there is no corrosion in there on the pins. If that is ok. Time to break out a multi meter and check the voltage signal to the coils. The issue would be either the voltage output signal from the CCRM or like I said, some sort of poor connection on that power wire since they all share it. The ground side, each coil has its own ground internally (coil drivers) in the PCM. Could they all go bad at once? Doubtful, however, I have seen a bunch of PCMs fail and it was the coil driver, I have actually seen them short out so bad they tops of the coils would melt on a few occasions.

Could also be battery voltage related, but that is a long shot. But worth a shot to check as well. Do you have the capability to datalog?

Do you wash your engine bay at all?

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
The coils all share the same Power/Voltage source which comes from the CCRM. The coil driver is built into the PCM which sends the ground signal. My guess is, the CCRM power supply acting up, or some kind of issue on the wire powering all the coils (loose, mouse chewed, corroded on the connector etc). The CCRM is located in the passenger front fender, behind the wheel liner. Check the large connector at the back of the engine bay on the passenger side with the 10mm bolt on the top, this is the most easily accessible thing for you at the moment. Make sure that is tight, if it is, remove it, make sure there is no corrosion in there on the pins. If that is ok. Time to break out a multi meter and check the voltage signal to the coils. The issue would be either the voltage output signal from the CCRM or like I said, some sort of poor connection on that power wire since they all share it. The ground side, each coil has its own ground internally (coil drivers) in the PCM. Could they all go bad at once? Doubtful, however, I have seen a bunch of PCMs fail and it was the coil driver, I have actually seen them short out so bad they tops of the coils would melt on a few occasions.

Could also be battery voltage related, but that is a long shot. But worth a shot to check as well. Do you have the capability to datalog?

Do you wash your engine bay at all?

This is great information, thank you very much!

No, I never like directly wash/hose down my engine bay... I just use rags and detail spray. Yes - I can datalog... I have an SCT w/LiveLink even have PRP for tuning. I can setup a datalog - What PIDS would you recommend monitoring?

So funny you mentioned a "mouse" - So I noticed when I uncovered her after the winter, I keep a trickle charger on the battery, and noticed some mouse droppings on the top of the battery. So I definitely had a mouse trying to keep warm on the battery at some point.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
So little update here - I checked the large connector with the 10mm bolt on the passenger side and the other smaller connector next to it. Both were tight, but I went ahead and took it apart... no corrosion, but it was a little dirty in there. I cleaned it out and wiped it a little with a rag and put it back together. I also disconnected the negative terminal on the battery while I was messing with the connectors. Went for a ride, about 7-8 miles... and the codes did not come back yet. They set soft almost immediately before and then the SES light would come on. I'll drive it some more and see what happens. Fingers crossed maybe it was a simple clean and reseat...

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sorry I'm a little late to the party, just getting to emails and saw your PM. Seems like you may have gotten it. Juiced46 already got you the explanation of power and grounding to the coils.
If it comes back I'd put fresh plugs, drive out the old gas (you mentioned it had been sitting a while) and fill up fresh, clear codes and see if takes care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread