Track key upgrade

AK Roadrunner

Established Member
I recently picked up a 2013 Boss with a track key. I cant tell the difference between the track key and the regular key while driving. The dealer says the track key is working properly but other than accessing the track apps I'm just not seeing a difference in performance. Ford has recently released a new tuner that is designed to work with the track key and give you launch control and change the idle among other things. My question is will I have to take it to the dealer to have the key reactivated or can I simply install the tune and start enjoying the full potential this car has to offer?

M91196

Established Member
You seeing this, as mentioned above?
Is it going into lope idle mode?

d2d682c6bf7402d05300d3c2e2551f4d.jpg

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Just because you have the red track key doesn't mean it's been activated. The track key tune has the choppy idle and retuned throttle among the track apps, launch control and other track only tricks. If you are seeing the message in the post above at start up then you should have all the features of the track key. If you are not getting all the track key features it could mean the car has an issue.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
One more thing.... As far as power goes, the track key only adds about 5-8 RWHP mainly in the sub 7k rpm range. It's not a big difference. The retuned throttle is noticeable however.

AK Roadrunner

Established Member
Sorry for the delayed response, it does say TracKey Active Track Use Only. However it is not going into lope idle. I had the dealer look into it and they said it is functioning as designed. I don't think they actually know how this key is supposed to work.

AK Roadrunner

Established Member
Thanks, I would like to exhaust all free or cheap options before laying out a decent amount of cash for something that I supposedly already have.

bossmav

I recently picked up a 2013 Boss with a track key. I cant tell the difference between the track key and the regular key while driving. The dealer says the track key is working properly but other than accessing the track apps I'm just not seeing a difference in performance. Ford has recently released a new tuner that is designed to work with the track key and give you launch control and change the idle among other things. My question is will I have to take it to the dealer to have the key reactivated or can I simply install the tune and start enjoying the full potential this car has to offer?

WOW,
Like AK Roadrunner I too just got a 2013 Boss 302 with a Track Key and mine doesn't have a lope idle either, it does say Track Key Active, OK? so I push the OK button and it sounds no different than my regular key. Things that make you go Hmmm.

M91196

Established Member
Interesting, do any features work?
Launch control or pit road speed?
I would read the trouble shooting in the link I provided, maybe start by doing the crank re learn. It may have a fault code that needs to cleared as well.

Is their an CARB sticker on the strut tower? That's were they tell you to put it after your track key is activated and they send your acknowledgement letter and decal.

Last edited:

mammothcar1

Established Member
From my poor memory, there is at least one criteria that must be met, if not more, before you will get the lopey idle.
The engine has to reach a certain operating temp before the lopey idle kicks in.
Also, and I can't remember if this is true, but I think the A/C needs to be off as well.
You will definitely notice when the lopey idle starts though.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Yes, operating temp has to be reached first, but it can be with the AC on, it does not have to be off.

Also, you will get a "ding" when track key idle activates.

If none of this is happening then the track key was prob never installed.

mammothcar1

Established Member
Just for the hell of it, you might call Ford Performance, they have picked up the phone and helped me in the past.
There is also a detailed instruction sheet with trouble shooting and other info, maybe it will help.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

Good info in here regarding the lopey idle and the 3 conditions that must be met before it will activate.

1) X number of seconds are required after engine reaches operating temp

2) Must not be in idle after that point- just rev the engine or drive to enable

3)No errors detected

bossmav

Thank you one and all I will check this out and let everyone know what problems I find. Because of you guys I now have a starting point, it's good to have friends helping friends!

Ruff

I'm getting my red key activated you also need to get m-9603-MBTKA Procal tool to flash the PCM ford can do it you can get it from ford racing I got mine from summit racing saved a few bucks I will post after it's done

boss302_999

2012 BOSS 302
Established Member
For me, the Track key gives a huge difference so that even my wife notices.. Throttle response and the engine braking are very responsive and aggressive. The characteristic of the car totally changes in my opinion... It sounds like the track key is not programmed for you..

Users who are viewing this thread