Transmission/Engine Noise

Indeterminate

Happy New Year, everyone.

I have a 2016 GT PP with 22k miles. Only mods are intake, tune, axle-back exhaust, springs, and 15mm hub centric spacers.

Car has been a dream since I got in in the Spring of 2016, but 2 weeks ago it developed a strange whirring/whining noise that is audible both inside and outside the vehicle. It starts upon engine start and idle and gets louder as RPM increases. It is present both under load and not under load. The noise becomes inaudible at highway speeds and in 5th and 6th gear.

It still shifts and drives fine despite the new sound which is quite loud.

While I autocrossed it occasionally when I lived in the States and do drive "spiritedly" around town, I have always taken care of it and do not indulge in hole shots all too often. The only thing that has changed in recent months is that I live in Germany now and do drive it at Autobahn speeds quite often.

Anyone have any ideas? Only thing I can think of is the input shaft bearing.

Thanks for your time!

jaxbusa

Established Member
Get that thing to the dealership. I don’t think your modifications will affect the warranty on the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Indeterminate

Bringing it to the dealership this week. Did some troubleshooting and discovered it isn't the engine or tranny at all - it is something with the front defroster. When defroster is off the sound goes away. Only returns upon turning on the defroster.

MG0h3

Established Member
Defroster engages your AC. May also run your cooling fan full time and or kick it up to high speed.

Indeterminate

AC does not cause the noise. The only component of the HVAC that causes the noise is the forward defroster. I am thinking there must be some kind of door that is being actuated that has something stuck in it or something.

N9TMARE

Established Member
That’s just a ford. Deal with it.
It’s not a supersport car. What you paid what you got.

Indeterminate

That’s just a ford. Deal with it.
It’s not a supersport car. What you paid what you got.

A car is a mechanical object and things break - I get that. They are fixing it tomorrow morning. Regardless of whether or not my car is a "Supersport car" or not, it should not be making extremely loud noises when the defroster is going just because its a Ford.

Thanks for your inspired insight on the issue, though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It would have been dumb not to address it, as N9TMARE "recommended". :rolleyes: You have a warranty for a reason. You were smart to make the appointment to have Ford correct the issue. Let us know what the dealership finds.

Users who are viewing this thread