Upgrades to make a decent sounding stereo?

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
A while back, I lost the driver's side tweeter. I thought it was the head unit (as swapping left-to-right tweeters had no effect) so I replaced it with a Jensen DMX5020. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77217_Jensen-DMX5020.html I used an adapter to connect it to the stock stereo harness. I'm satisfied with the features and the performance of the Jensen, but the problem is that the audio quality is, well, terrible. It's horribly mid-range heavy and sounds very muddy. I have adjusted the EQ to fully drop off the mid-range, and fully boost the treble and bass frequencies, which was an improvement, but it's still unsatisfactory. I'm not an audiophile so I'm not overly picky, but I do still have standards.

I'm assuming that there are some filters in the rest of the stock stereo that are not playing nicely with the Jensen. I was thinking about replacing the stock speakers, removing the amps, and running speaker wires directly from the Jensen to the speakers. I figured I'd wire the tweeters to the front speaker output, the lower door speakers to the rear speaker output, and the rear speakers to the subwoofer output, so they can all be controlled separately.

So far I am in the very-early stages of planning this, so I am looking for input or suggestions. If you think the Jensen is responsible for the crappy sound, that's fine, but I don't want to look at replacing it unless upgrading the speakers and removing the amps doesn't make a satisfactory improvement. I'm not looking to put in a subwoofer or anything like that, just want decent sound quality.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I eventually plan on yanking out all of the 460 stuff. I currently have Rockford Fosgate components in my doors. That way the tweeters and speakers are run off one channel each. I still have the stock speakers in the rear deck, but I plan on going with 6x9's eventually. My aftermarket deck as the separate sub output and that's what I have my amp and sub hooked up to. There's a small amp that fits under the dash that I think is good for driving the front four speakers. My buddy has that set up in his car and it sounds clean.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Thats going to sound terrible the way you describe wiring it. Also, your issue may be the Jensen radio itself as all the filtering is handled in the stock HU.

I have a double din Pioneer (3 year old model that cost $350 ish) wired to the stock Mach 1000 system in my car and it sounds pretty good IMO. It could be better but I dont feel like re-wiring the entire system.

If you want to replace the entire 460 system, then I would do it this way or a variation of it.

Replace the front door speakers with a 6x8, 6.5", or 5.25" component speaker set. Install the tweeter where the factory tweeter is and the woofer in the lower door.

You can do the same for the rear or just install a set of coaxial speakers in the rear deck.

Run the front and rears off the HU or install a 4 channel amp to power them.

Finally, I would add a sub in the trunk with its own amplifier for the lower frequencies.

EDIT: I see you dont want a sub. So in that case, I would keep the 460 stuff and try another HU. Youre not going to get any decent bass out of aftermarket speakers running off the HU amplifier.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't forget than when replacing speakers in a Mach sound system you must replace them in sets, not just one side.

This is due to Ford having strange speaker impedances. Not only will the new one sound different than a stock speaker, but it will be either louder or softer. It will not match.

Most people that want to keep the stock head unit get a matching box and then run all new speakers and electronics. (amplifier and EQ)

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Don't forget than when replacing speakers in a Mach sound system you must replace them in sets, not just one side.

This is due to Ford having strange speaker impedances. Not only will the new one sound different than a stock speaker, but it will be either louder or softer. It will not match.

Most people that want to keep the stock head unit get a matching box and then run all new speakers and electronics. (amplifier and EQ)

Around Christmas time, I'm taking all the Mach components out and wiring. Putting a Pioneer head unit, 5 channel amp, (4) 6x8 Component speakers, and a 10" sub in a small box. Nothing too crazy, I think it will be around 800 Watts for everything. It will be around $1000, not too bad I think. It's not hard, just hooking up wires to the correct area.

NastyNate420

Established Member
did you get the correct wiring harness with the extra small white one withe rcas for the Mach system? My stock system bumps I just added a pioneer head unit and a couple jl subs and amp for the lows.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Nate, yes, I got the correct harness. It's the Metra 70-5521. https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-552...7068&s=car&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

I hooked up just the door tweeters to the Jensen (I unplugged the other speakers) and they are very mid-range-heavy, no matter how I adjust the EQ. I then switched back to the stock stereo and the tweeters sounded much better--an appropriate amount of treble.

According to my reading, the stock head unit powers the tweeters directly, with no amp in between. While the stock head unit might have a crossover to limit low frequencies to the tweeters, nothing should be limiting the amount of treble. This leads me to think (in my completely amateur, uneducated opinion) that the Jensen simply isn't putting out much treble, regardless of the EQ settings.

As such, my buddy, who used to work at a stereo shop, and a guy at a local stereo shop, both suggested that the problem is that the Jensen is just a crappy head unit, and that I'd have proper treble through the tweeters with a better head unit. Do you guys concur--should I try a better head unit? (I am satisfied with how the stock stereo sounded, so if I can get an aftermarket head unit that sounds comparable, I'll be fine with that--I'm not in a hurry to rewire, change out speakers, add subs, etc.)

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've never used a Jensen head unit. I've had a couple Pioneer and Kenwoods. Those sound at least as good as the stock head unit. I think they sounded a little better actually. My current head unit is a Pioneer. It's slowly going out and still sounds ok. At least when all the speakers are working.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Followup - Several months back, I ended up purchasing a Kenwood Excelon DDX393. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX393/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX393.html?tp=20217&omnews=13887909

It also sounds just as bad as the Jensen. So, there's apparently something inherent in the stock Mach 460 components that makes them work well with the stock head unit but results in degraded audio quality with an aftermarket unit. Going with component speakers and an amp is next on the list.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Followup - Several months back, I ended up purchasing a Kenwood Excelon DDX393. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX393/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX393.html?tp=20217&omnews=13887909

It also sounds just as bad as the Jensen. So, there's apparently something inherent in the stock Mach 460 components that makes them work well with the stock head unit but results in degraded audio quality with an aftermarket unit. Going with component speakers and an amp is next on the list.

I replaced everything in mine. HU, Components, amps, wiring, subs all got replaced. I initially had Lanzar amps, Sony HU, Infinity components, and MA Audio subs which are gone now. My new replacements are a Pioneer HU, Morel components, Diamond Audio subs and amps.

Sent from Dr. Krieger's Lab

01yellercobra

Established Member
I replaced everything in mine. HU, Components, amps, wiring, subs all got replaced. I initially had Lanzar amps, Sony HU, Infinity components, and MA Audio subs which are gone now. My new replacements are a Pioneer HU, Morel components, Diamond Audio subs and amps.

Sent from Dr. Krieger's Lab

Is it possible to pull the Mach wiring harness without having to cut anything?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Don't know if this matters, but I had to use the speaker output instead of the line outputs of the aftermarket HU to make it work in my car.

Users who are viewing this thread