Want to order 2012, but terrified of MT-82 problems

jmatero

Established Member
if there were known issues from 2004, why are you surprised that its junk? And more importantly why did you buy one? By the way, feel free to copy and paste this on the dozen other forums you spew your death and destruction message on.

Another troll... you know ShadowStang03GT got banned for trolling right?

Ford told the world the MT82 was a new transmission but that was true in the US... Ford used it in their Transit Panel Van in 2003 and then the Land Rover Defender in 2007.

Had I known to look at the owner forums of those two overseas vehicles... and had I been aware of the same mess they're in... I never would have purchased it.

Sorry you don't like to hear the facts, but you're just shooting the messenger. Direct your anger at Ford for leaving us in the dust and you'll ensure all owners of 2011/2012 Mustangs are happy with their purchases and most importantly, play a part in restoring the Mustang's reputation... which is going down the crapper every day Ford refuses to act.

GM is having a field day with this (posted the day the Mustang investigation launched:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VamIYuZ2Cq0"]Woodward Avenue Manual Transmission Test Schedule - YouTube[/nomedia]

A week after Chevy got wind of the output shafts going out on Camaros, THIS was posted for the world to see. Ford could learn something here:

December 1, 2009:
I understand over the recent Thanksgiving holiday, the Camaro output shaft topic heated up. We understand the members' passion and concern for this issue as it involves a major powertrain component. Rest assured, everyone on the Camaro team takes these issues very seriously, but there is some confusion regarding this matter that we would like to try to clear up.

As many of the members know, we started to receive warranty claim reports in June 2009 regarding output shaft failures on Camaro SS models with manual transmissions. When we noticed a spike in claims, a review was initiated to determine the root cause for the failure. This review is common practice for us, and usually takes a number weeks to complete. Since we did not immediately know the root cause, we did slow the shipments of Camaro SS models from Oshawa for a couple of weeks until the review was completed.

At the end of the review, we concluded the probability of a customer experiencing an output shaft failure under normal driving conditions are very low (or - if you are into engineer speak, "below tolerance"). In fact, even in the most extreme driving condition, the probability of failure does not significantly change.

Ideally, we would like to say that there is no chance a failure under any driving condition will occur. We know this is not possible since every car - regardless of manufacturer - has some probability of a part failing. In the case of Camaro, we believe the probability is very low. We have such confidence in the low probability that we back it up by providing the industry best's powertrain warranty - 100,000 miles or 5 years, which includes roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. If the powertrain part fails due to a defect in our workmanship or material, we'll correct the issue regardless of the number of owners a particular Camaro may have during that period.

Hopefully this will provide a little more insight from our perspective on this topic.

Sincerely,

John Fitzpatrick
Marketing Manager - Chevy Performance Cars

Last edited:

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
Just to be clear, Ford built 21,000 MT82-equipped 2011 Mustangs.

Also, those 100 complaints are just those to the NHTSA.

It should be noted there are ZERO NHTSA complaints of gear lock-outs on 2011:

Corvette
Camaro
Challenger
CTS/CTS-V
Genesis Coupe
370Z
G37
BMW 1/3/Z4

Finally, the MT82 is now on backorder. Owners with failed transmissions are reporting multiple weeks in the shop with an ETA of September. Replacement MT82 supply is clearly exceeding demand at this point. Where are they all going? I've had two... Cbaty08 on here is waiting for his third.

Telling indeed

Where did you hear this?

jmatero

Established Member
Where did you hear this?

From multiple owners at the AFM Transmission Thread.

This one from just last night... he's been waiting for a long time...

From cbaty08:

We, the PAYING customer, are being used as TEST DUMMIES for these power-trains; I have my THIRD tranny on order that is scheduled to ship out late in the month, that is supposed to have a different gear-set in it. Whether or not that is true, I can't be certain. That is what I was told though.

If that is true, then we are doing just that; paying out of pocket for Fords own R&D.

It would be nice if Ford was at least honest about these replacement in that they might not be a true fix, but that they are making an honest effort.

When I picked up my car after the last tranny replacement, the Ford Service Engineer got locked out of third when he was actually on it and not driving like a granny; I said 'SEE!!!"..... his response 'Oh, I just missed the gate.". Sure, ya did..

On the same drive, I was making a 3-point turn and tried to put the car in reverse; It WOULDN'T GO IN ALL THE WAY! I said to myself "I don't think I am ll the way in gear, it feels like I am just halfway in" and as I let the clutch out it grinded.

Ford Service Engineers response? 'Oh, that happens, you just need to throw it in first, move the car a few inches to move the gears, and then you should be able to go into reverse no problem."

WHAT?! What if I am parks up against someone who parked after I did and can't?

Anyways, I am sure by now you can sense my frustration and understand there are folks out here that aren't jmatero, who want this fixed AS IT IS A REAL PROBLEM.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Another troll... you know ShadowStang03GT got banned for trolling right?

Ford told the world the MT82 was a new transmission but that was true in the US... Ford used it in their Transit Panel Van in 2003 and then the Land Rover Defender in 2007.

Had I known to look at the owner forums of those two overseas vehicles... and had I been aware of the same mess they're in... I never would have purchased it.

Sorry you don't like to hear the facts, but you're just shooting the messenger. Direct your anger at Ford for leaving us in the dust and you'll ensure all owners of 2011/2012 Mustangs are happy with their purchases and most importantly, play a part in restoring the Mustang's reputation... which is going down the crapper every day Ford refuses to act.

GM is having a field day with this (posted the day the Mustang investigation launched:

Woodward Avenue Manual Transmission Test Schedule - YouTube

A week after Chevy got wind of the output shafts going out on Camaros, THIS was posted for the world to see. Ford could learn something here:

Not trolling and not angry. I've been on this forum for years and its among my favorite three. I just don't post a lot. I come here for real tech and discussion. It's great we get direct access to the best Mustang vendors and get good information in regards these cars. This thread screams, "I wanna be on Corral.net or AllFordMustangs", just saying.

Fact of the matter is, you and redcandy50 (him about #8) would rather complain, than sell your cars and drive something else. All cars have issues. The GTO had terrible IRS that would break if you sneezed wrong, the 10 bolt in the LS1 cars were junk, the T5 in a fox was glass. Just saying.

If I do get banned at least its in an attempt to protect the integrity of this forum. Maybe I'd get some work done if I was banned. Hmmm

jmatero

Established Member
Not trolling and not angry. I've been on this forum for years and its among my favorite three. I just don't post a lot. I come here for real tech and discussion. It's great we get direct access to the best Mustang vendors and get good information in regards these cars. This thread screams, "I wanna be on Corral.net or AllFordMustangs", just saying.

Fact of the matter is, you and redcandy50 (him about #8) would rather complain, than sell your cars and drive something else. All cars have issues. The GTO had terrible IRS that would break if you sneezed wrong, the 10 bolt in the LS1 cars were junk, the T5 in a fox was glass. Just saying.

If I do get banned at least its in an attempt to protect the integrity of this forum. Maybe I'd get some work done if I was banned. Hmmm

Thanks for keeping this polite!!

Crunchy shifting is one thing. The inability to shift into gear is a huge problem. We hear from owners everyday who can't sell their cars because of this... and most agree: Why should owners take a loss and abandon a brand new car because a major powertrain component is failing and the manufacturer won't even admit to there being a problem... let alone fix it. As this is also affecting 2012 owners, it clearly goes beyond a first year glitch. Two owners who post regularly on The Mustang Source... both with new BOSS 302's... have now submitted complaints to the NHTSA when they were completely unable to shift the car out of neutral... with the clutch fully depressed... until they coasted to a stop on the side of the road.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for keeping this polite!!

Crunchy shifting is one thing. The inability to shift into gear is a huge problem. We hear from owners everyday who can't sell their cars because of this... and most agree: Why should owners take a loss and abandon a brand new car because a major powertrain component is failing and the manufacturer won't even admit to there being a problem... let alone fix it. As this is also affecting 2012 owners, it clearly goes beyond a first year glitch. Two owners who post regularly on The Mustang Source... both with new BOSS 302's... have now submitted complaints to the NHTSA when they were completely unable to shift the car out of neutral... with the clutch fully depressed... until they coasted to a stop on the side of the road.

Maybe it'll take me having these issues to get fired up about it. I just don't think its a widespread pandemic as it seems to be portrayed in some forums.

I do hope that you don't have to put a third MT82 in. Maybe it'll be time for a T56 swap by then lol.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Look guys. You can try to credit one side of the spectrum all you want. You can try to discredit anybody making claims.

The simple fact of the matter is that there's enough initial concern in a possible problem that the government has stepped in and started an investigation. No amount of rhetoric or banter from any side is going to change that at this point.

So instead of spending time arguing like school children, why don't we all just hang tight and see what the feds find.

Even if you have a perfect transmission, what if the feds find that there's a systemic break-down of either parts or QC measures that could render any transmission dangerous for use? Wouldn't you want to know that and have a potential hazard fixed before it does become a problem for you or your loved ones?

I sure know I'd find that information useful.

SicShelby09

Banned
Just to be clear, Ford built 21,000 MT82-equipped 2011 Mustangs.

Also, those 100 complaints are just those to the NHTSA.

It should be noted there are ZERO NHTSA complaints of gear lock-outs on 2011:

Corvette
Camaro
Challenger
CTS/CTS-V
Genesis Coupe
370Z
G37
BMW 1/3/Z4

Finally, the MT82 is now on backorder. Owners with failed transmissions are reporting multiple weeks in the shop with an ETA of September. Replacement MT82 supply is clearly exceeding demand at this point. Where are they all going? I've had two... Cbaty08 on here is waiting for his third.

Telling indeed

Just know jackhole, that my personal friend and I were racing just two weeks ago. Me in my GT and him in his 2010 camaro. We did a 40ish roll from second. I grabbed third with perfection. Him on the otherhand, he missed third and then got completely locked out. The car was basicly doing the same thing as yours. Would not let him get into any gear, and would grind really bad when he tried to put it in with the clutch fully depressed. The car had to be towed to the dealer. They came back with the word that he completely destroyed his 1-2 syncros and destroyed the shift fork. I have missed the 2-3 several times in my GT, and never once destroyed anything. This was the first time he did that, and it completely took the car out of comission. Glass trans.

Lets not forget almost EVERY 2010-2011 GT500 owner with the TR6060 that cannot do the 1-2 shift at highrpm without a lockout.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0-2010-2011-gt500-1-2-shift-problem-poll.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/709678-2011-gt500-1-2-shift-problem.html

There are several threads in that same section of SVTP.

Last edited:

SBTerminator

Established Member
You have a legit reason to question your choice, and the "It's Under warratny" is a stupid remark. I don't buy a vehicle to be in for repairs. Biggest reason why Range Rover customer's never buy another one, they are under warranty, but the owners get tired of having the vehicle in service more than their garage...

5.0jake

Established Member
The only problems I actually had with my manual was it was a bit notchy and I had a hard time getting it in to first gear sometimes, but could easily be driven very smoothly all the time if you know what you're doing(which I did). So really my manual worked just fine. The lack of low end grunt the 5.0 has matched to the manual just wasn't fun for me in normal daily driving, especially traffic.
The auto seems to hide some of that low end cheese and seems much quicker and easy to drive fast, especially from a roll.
I do agree some of the problems people are having with their manual are self inflicted or driver error. I also believe many are genuine.

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member

That is quite shocking. It does not detract from the issue that Ford does have some problems, but it does show how much he complains about everything.

SicShelby09

Banned
That is quite shocking. It does not detract from the issue that Ford does have some problems, but it does show how much he complains about everything.

How talk about a troll. He is the complainer of all complainers. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. That list of goodies should be forwarded to the investigators and Ford. What a DOUCHE.

wbt

Banned
41503_1062145143_7549_n.jpg

Matero and Orbit complain about their MT82's - YouTube

:lol1:

Swoope

Established Member
Your posts were deleted by the mods there because you were trolling in a thread for Mustang Owners experiencing transmission problems. You don't even OWN a Mustang... and the mods gave you fair warning to cut it out. Looks like you found a new place to troll.

Ford is going to supply that data to the NHTSA. Based on the transmission issues poll you started at AFM (only a snapshot, I know) it's close to 10% reporting Major Issues and 50/50 between "no problems" and "not fixed"

Reports to the NHTSA have exploded since the investigation started this week as most owners don't visit threads like these.

ok,

still on you thread, never banned on that site. dont own a mustang now, am doing research.

how is it on your thread i a have answered questions you cant? asked good questions.

and really you are the troll on this forum. as other have pointed out.

STILL ANSWER MY FIRST QUESTION HONESTLY. HOW MANY TOTALLY FAILED TRANSMISSIONS DO YOU HAVE CONFORMATION FOR, BY PM OR KNOW THE PERSON????

dont throw up your spin #s, it is a simple question. and yes. i know the #s in my poll 22 have claimed really bad transmissions.

btw, would have one by now if the lava red did not get killed, and the other color i would buy will not be available till nov. and still in the east, if you find a dealership with more than 4 gts it is odd.

beers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread