Want to order 2012, but terrified of MT-82 problems

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
ok,

still on you thread, never banned on that site. dont own a mustang now, am doing research.

how is it on your thread i a have answered questions you cant? asked good questions.

and really you are the troll on this forum. as other have pointed out.

STILL ANSWER MY FIRST QUESTION HONESTLY. HOW MANY TOTALLY FAILED TRANSMISSIONS DO YOU HAVE CONFORMATION FOR, BY PM OR KNOW THE PERSON????

dont throw up your spin #s, it is a simple question. and yes. i know the #s in my poll 22 have claimed really bad transmissions.

btw, would have one by now if the lava red did not get killed, and the other color i would buy will not be available till nov. and still in the east, if you find a dealership with more than 4 gts it is odd.

beers

There is a lava red at a dealership by my house...

Ford New Inventory

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The manual looks better on paper but it's not (at least in a straight line). Turns yes.
Believe me the auto is nasty in daily driving and a better platform for drag racing.

I'm not discounting the potential of the auto. I'm merely pointing out the facts.

The auto with a 3.15 rear end and higher gearing isn't going to have the mechanical advantage that the manual does and it is going to have about 10-15hp less at any given rpm.

Auto's always feel faster in traffic because you mash the gas and it downshifts automatically for you to the optimal gearing, people get lazy and don't always downshift to the correct gears with a manual.

In a roll or dig the auto is going to lose to the manual in stock form, not by a lot but it will.

I'm happy to be a test subject in this matter:D

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The simple fact of the matter is that there's enough initial concern in a possible problem that the government has stepped in and started an investigation.

Remember a few months maybe a year back when the government made a big hoopla over the toyota break failures, turns out it was actually driver error and there wasn't some mysterious gremlin in the toyotas...

The government taking up an investigation doesn't lend any credibility in my eyes...after all I don't find much about our government credible but that is just me.:shrug:

jmatero

Established Member
ok,

still on you thread, never banned on that site. dont own a mustang now, am doing research.

how is it on your thread i a have answered questions you cant? asked good questions.

and really you are the troll on this forum. as other have pointed out.

STILL ANSWER MY FIRST QUESTION HONESTLY. HOW MANY TOTALLY FAILED TRANSMISSIONS DO YOU HAVE CONFORMATION FOR, BY PM OR KNOW THE PERSON????

dont throw up your spin #s, it is a simple question. and yes. i know the #s in my poll 22 have claimed really bad transmissions.

btw, would have one by now if the lava red did not get killed, and the other color i would buy will not be available till nov. and still in the east, if you find a dealership with more than 4 gts it is odd.

beers

1. Nobody knows the answer to that but Ford... And they are providing that info to the NHTSA... so we'll all know soon enough.

2. Your "More than 4-GT's" is nonsense. My first search at Ford.com pulled up a dealer with 41 GTs sitting on the lot.
http://www.galpinford.com/j/i/34849/NewFordVehicles.html

You're in Florida.... this guy has 10 http://www.metroford.com/ou/miami-f...kType=New&view=expanded&pageSize=33&dealerId=[2357_796]

Don Reid in Orlando has 9....

Sun State in Orlando has 15...

You want data.... there it is.

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member

5.0jake

Established Member
I'm not discounting the potential of the auto. I'm merely pointing out the facts.

The auto with a 3.15 rear end and higher gearing isn't going to have the mechanical advantage that the manual does and it is going to have about 10-15hp less at any given rpm.

Auto's always feel faster in traffic because you mash the gas and it downshifts automatically for you to the optimal gearing, people get lazy and don't always downshift to the correct gears with a manual.

In a roll or dig the auto is going to lose to the manual in stock form, not by a lot but it will.

I'm happy to be a test subject in this matter:D

Yes I'm aware of how autos downshift. My 3.31 manual definitely felt and went slower from any rpm and any gear while rolling than my auto. I don't understand it either since the auto has less power at the wheels.

Really analyzing lol: The 3.73 6M was quicker below 70 than my auto. The 3.73's was slower than both the auto and 3.31's above 70.
3.73's in first gear or starting in 2nd gear at 4k rpms was better than my auto but everywhere else not so much. The manual also can be shifted harder.
These are my observations based on how quick I would a pass cars at different speeds and how it feels. I still agree, both stock from a dig the manual should have a slight edge IF there is a skillful driver. A modded auto, it's game over!

BTW I knew how to downshift, rev match, power-shift...my manual just fine probably better than most and far from lazy lol!

I would love to roll race any stock 6M in my area to test my observations.
You do understand the gearing in the auto is different than the manual?

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The 3.73's was slower than both the auto and 3.31's above 70.
+++
These are my observations based on how quick I would a pass cars at different speeds and how it feels.

I don't trust my butt to discern between 10-15hp.

You could buy a Pbox (GPS performance meter, very accurate) and prove us wrong by doing some pulls in your car and post up the files for review, include DA and have no more than 3% down slope. I've got my stock pulls logged and we can look at them side-by-side and see the difference.

Just food for thought but here is why the auto in stock form isn't going to be faster than the manual in stock form.

From 60-130 the auto is going from 5,400 in 2nd gear up to 5,650 in 4th gear.
When the auto shifts to 3rd it falls to 4,500 rpms and the shift to fourth the rpms drop to 5,200.

The 6M from 60-130 (with the 3.55) goes from 6,300 in 2nd to 5,600 in 5th. Right there the manual has the advantage of spreading the 70mph over an extra gear.

The 2-3 shift the rpms only falls to 5,000 vs the autos 4,500. The 3-4 shift the rpms fall to 5,500 vs auto falling to 5,200. The 4-5 shift makes the rpm drop to 5,400 as well.

So basically the manual puts more power to the wheels (not a lot) and has more gearing that keeps it better in the power band.

:shrug:

SVTStampede

Established Member
They do all have more than 4 though. ;-)

Honestly he may complain a lot, but someone has to. I'm thankful for whiners, they let me be lazy. They are the reason the 2011+ Mustang is awesome instead of a low build quality, low HP, turd.:beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
1. Nobody knows the answer to that but Ford... And they are providing that info to the NHTSA... so we'll all know soon enough.

2. Your "More than 4-GT's" is nonsense. My first search at Ford.com pulled up a dealer with 41 GTs sitting on the lot.
2010, 2011, 2012, Ford Mustang, F-150, Escape, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta, Flex, North Hills, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley

You're in Florida.... this guy has 10 Metro Ford - Miami Dade County area Ford dealer in Miami Florida. Fort Lauderdale Ford parts dealer. Broward County Ford dealer cars parts, Miami Beach Florida Ford dealer cars parts, Hialeah Ford dealer cars parts, Aventura FL Ford dealer cars parts[2357_796]

Don Reid in Orlando has 9....

Sun State in Orlando has 15...

You want data.... there it is.

Just so you are aware, inventory in shipped status will show up as inventory on FordDirect.com. I know someone at Metro and they have told me that their GT allocation over the next quarter is less than 10.

Galpin is one of the Top 5 stores in the nation, so of course they are going to have inventory.

I can support the previous comment about GT's on lots, as I have been watching inventory in my area for the last 2 months and is has never been more than a handful.

I have heard 2 different stories related to the inventory. One is the F150 line receiving the bulk of the 5.0 motors, and the other is parts limiting inventory. Both could be wrong of rumors..?

5.0jake

Established Member
I don't trust my butt to discern between 10-15hp.

You could buy a Pbox (GPS performance meter, very accurate) and prove us wrong by doing some pulls in your car and post up the files for review, include DA and have no more than 3% down slope. I've got my stock pulls logged and we can look at them side-by-side and see the difference.

Just food for thought but here is why the auto in stock form isn't going to be faster than the manual in stock form.

From 60-130 the auto is going from 5,400 in 2nd gear up to 5,650 in 4th gear.
When the auto shifts to 3rd it falls to 4,500 rpms and the shift to fourth the rpms drop to 5,200.

The 6M from 60-130 (with the 3.55) goes from 6,300 in 2nd to 5,600 in 5th. Right there the manual has the advantage of spreading the 70mph over an extra gear.

The 2-3 shift the rpms only falls to 5,000 vs the autos 4,500. The 3-4 shift the rpms fall to 5,500 vs auto falling to 5,200. The 4-5 shift makes the rpm drop to 5,400 as well.

So basically the manual puts more power to the wheels (not a lot) and has more gearing that keeps it better in the power band.

:shrug:
LOL, what kind of roll race are you talking about? Anything above 3rd in the auto is over 115 mph and I'm not going to spend money on a Pbox to prove anything. I will do a friendly roll race with someone within a reasonable speed range (anywhere within 20-120ish) for ex.
I agree the manual should be faster but from my experience int the real world on the street having owned the manual with 3.31's, 3.73's and now the auto, the auto just seems to be an overall quicker car.
I could get my manual to go quick but I had to run the piss out of it and bang gears where the auto is seemingly effortless to get the same result.

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
LOL, what kind of roll race are you talking about? Anything above 3rd in the auto is over 115 mph and I'm not going to spend money on a Pbox to prove anything. I will do a friendly roll race with someone within a reasonable speed range (anywhere within 20-120ish) for ex.

Well I usually like to go from 40ish to 130ish (obviously if less is needed to discern the winner that's fine). This is what my point has been, for me to go over 120 I need 5th gear. The auto is just getting into 4th around there. The manual spreads the speed out over more gears; the manual has better mechanical advantage.

the auto just seems to be an overall quicker car.

It might seem that way, but unless you just have a ringer auto that is putting 390 down stock it isn't reality.

I could get my manual to go quick but I had to run the piss out of it and bang gears where the auto is seemingly effortless to get the same result.

Well yeah manuals require shifting, down shifting and more inputs/efforts from the driver versus an auto. I'm not question anybody that wants to get the auto over a manual in this car. It is nearly as potent out of the box and very good for holding lots of power down the road with mods. But out of the box the auto isn't faster.

I've only seen 2-3 other 5.0s around here, if I ever come across an auto I'll definitely try to do a comparison :banana:

5.0jake

Established Member
the manual has better mechanical advantage.

I have argued this very point about the manual over the auto when I had my manual in an older thread. All I know is, when I compare my auto to my manual, it overall accelerates faster than my ever manual did (3.31 or 3.73), especially in passing situations no question.

Maybe a ringer compared to my manual, maybe my manual wasn't running good? Never drove any other 5.0's to compare.

In the end who cares really, faster or not, the auto is so much more of a joy to drive in this car than the manual.:rockon:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've got 2 MT-82 cars deep into the 10's and both have never had any issues with the trans at all and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. These things shift like butter.

Jared

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
That is what matters, what do you prefer, auto or manual.

I prefer to have a manual in a sports car, but that is just me.

One day that might change but right now I like rowing through the gears and being more in control of things, and luckily where I live doesn't have retarded traffic!

WHITEMACH

Established Member
nice as this one

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJHm78zbqNk&feature=BFa&list=PL03450F0F4EAAD659&index=9"]Mt82 trans - YouTube[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread