Weight Reduction List:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I though a cat less X pipe was good for more then 13lbs?

I remember reading a post that said the factory piece almost weighted 30lbs and the OR pipe barley weighed anything.

I did the weights on the Lethal catless X vs. stock and 13lbs +-.5 is what I came up with.

BigDan

Established Member
I use a highway weigh station that is always closed but is operational if you drive on the scale. :D

I went from 3,780 lbs to 3.660 lbs with my Racestars.

After reading the list it wouldn't take much to get my 2011 in the 3,4xx range for race day.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Racestars, Braille battery and some light weight seats are next on my list.

Last edited:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Is the stock/OEM hood weight of 52 pounds confirmed? I ask because I own a fiberglass Cervini hood. I just got off the phone with them and I am told it weighs only 41 pounds. The odd thing is that it seems much heavier than my stock hood. I also called to find out how much the Super Snake hood weighs, and I am told it is approximately 70 pounds.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Any new additions? I still keep this updated. I'm looking for new stuff to do. Im going to be weighing my car soon with a calibrated scale and I'll list my reductions.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
I have been thinking about creating an "Ultimate" weight savings thread, which lists precise weights of components that have been directly on a scale.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I use a calibrated Befour scale and typically weigh every mod that I install on the car. Thus far:

07' Harmonic Balancer - 21.3 lbs
08' Harmonic Balancer - 9.9 lbs
Savings: 11.4 lbs

OEM Axleback Muffler - 16.5 lbs
Magnaflow Axleback Muffler - 14.9 lbs
Savings: 3.2 lbs (for both)

Left Side Rear Axle Dampner - 4.6 lbs
Right Side Rear Axle Dampner - 4.7 lbs
Savings: 9.3 lbs

Total thus far: -26.9 lbs

Need to weigh the JLT CAI next time I take it off. And have J & M LCA's and Lethal Off Road ready for install. Odyssey PC680 battery with tray saved 22.2 lbs over the OEM Terminator setup. Need to weigh the GT500 Battery/hold down for this savings.

Was able to get 349.6 lbs out of the Terminator for race duty. Looking for 249+/- lbs out of the GT500. Little tougher....

IronTerp

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
precision

Your post is exactly the kind of thing that i had in mind. I have weighed the oddysey 680 and the stock battery and the the battery tray on the scale. I can add these in the near future.

I think the stock hood weight needs to be confirmedon a scale. From my research, i don't think it weighs 52 pounds.

]
I use a calibrated Befour scale and typically weigh every mod that I install on the car. Thus far:

07' Harmonic Balancer - 21.3 lbs
08' Harmonic Balancer - 9.9 lbs
Savings: 11.4 lbs

OEM Axleback Muffler - 16.5 lbs
Magnaflow Axleback Muffler - 14.9 lbs
Savings: 3.2 lbs (for both)

Left Side Rear Axle Dampner - 4.6 lbs
Right Side Rear Axle Dampner - 4.7 lbs
Savings: 9.3 lbs

Total thus far: -26.9 lbs

Need to weigh the JLT CAI next time I take it off. And have J & M LCA's and Lethal Off Road ready for install. Odyssey PC680 battery with tray saved 22.2 lbs over the OEM Terminator setup. Need to weigh the GT500 Battery/hold down for this savings.

Was able to get 349.6 lbs out of the Terminator for race duty. Looking for 249+/- lbs out of the GT500. Little tougher....

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Updated. I found a thread on TS that a member said 33.5 so I updated it. I was told it weighed 52lbs a long time ago. I knew it was way off because I thought it weighed about as much as my Lightnings hood. The stock hood is pretty light all ready. Many of the items I'm confident on because I weighed them myself.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Getting rid of these OEM front rotors:

S197oemgt500rotorwt.jpg

and replacing them with these:

s197frontweight.jpg

will save you a total of over ELEVEN pounds of unsprung rotating mass off of the heavy front end of a GT 500.

Getting rid of these OEM rear rotors:

s197rearoemrotorweight.jpg

and replacing them with these:

s197rearweight.jpg

will save you 4.88# of unsprung rotating mass off of the rear suspension.

Front and rear combined weight saving would be 15.92# total. Rotating mass weight reduction is easily double or triple the benefit of static weight reduction.

More info on the brakes can be found here:

S-197 Brakes

They are on sale at 10% off until the end of the month during Holiday Sale.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

IronTerp

AC, those are indeed beautiful rotors, but spending $1,270 to save 15.92 lbs is probably not going to be a real popular choice for most of weight savings faithful.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
AC, those are indeed beautiful rotors, but spending $1,270 to save 15.92 lbs is probably not going to be a real popular choice for most of weight savings faithful.

As most everyone in this forum knows, going fast is not cheap. Ask the guys running 8's and 9's. For about the same money as a set of four rotors, you'd be able to afford only two CCW Classic wheels. The wheels would save you approximately 20# of rotating mass and unsprung weight. So there is a cost to weight savings comparison for you. Some things are easier and less expensive to reduce weight compared to rotating mass.

I will fully admit that there are not a lot of people that are very in-tune to the benefits of reducing rotating mass. As a road racer, I am very in-tune to the value and benefits of reducing rotating mass. Cars accelerate faster, stop faster, turn-in to a corner better, traverse a corner faster and the difference is so pronounced you'd have to be numb not to feel it.

Lots of drag racers are astute enough to know they want to change out their front tire and wheel assembly to something smaller and lighter. Not too many people want to go as far as an aluminum or carbon fiber one piece driveshaft.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread