What causes a rattle when going over bumps? I'm getting annoyed!!!!

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Since I don't have a lo profile jack I just went out in the garage......when I take the heel of my hand and hit the caliper, I hear something that sound like it could be the noise.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
10 bucks its your brakes... Grease the pins in the calipers and get some brake quiet or get new pads.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Since I don't have a lo profile jack.....

drive up on some boards and then you can get a regular floor jack underneath

Just make sure they're still in place when you lower jack :)

Greasing those caliper pins seems to be a short-lived solution but it's probably where your rattle is coming from

Also check dust shields.

mu22stang recently posted that bending them slightly at each rivet can quiet them down....

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I'm pretty sure they're rattling on mine.

It went away after I did my last brake job but noise has returned.

I'm going to try new hardware and see what happens

I guess it's also possible that spring shims on pads have lost some tension, allowing pads to rattle :shrug:

Dans02gt

Established Member
I just bought my cobra like 2 months ago and i had a simular problem last month. I had a rattle coming from my rear shock. The bilstein strut on the rear has a bushing then a metal circle plate on top of the bushing wich makes sure you dont bottom out the shock. All of this is under the blue boot. On mine somehow i dont know how but the bushing slides down the strut and it the metal circle plate makes a rattle noise every time it hits a bump. I hope that makes sence and hope that might help you out. So to stop the noise i pushed up the bushing tight against the plate and it stopped making the noise.

Last edited:

Nicky Pass

Established Member
I just bought my cobra like 2 months ago and i had a simular problem last month. I had a rattle coming from my rear shock. The bilstein strut on the rear has a bushing then a metal circle plate on top of the bushing wich makes sure you dont bottom out the shock. All of this is under the blue boot. On mine somehow i dont know how but the bushing slides down the strut and it the metal circle plate makes a rattle noise every time it hits a bump. I hope that makes sence and hope that might help you out. So to stop the noise i pushed up the bushing tight against the plate and it stopped making the noise.

I had H&R race springs put on in 2007 and I think the shop would have noticed something like that.....I'd hope.

When I hit the caliper with my hand, I hear something. I wonder if the caliper is loose or something right at the wheel is loose.

exdeath

Established Member
Bent strut or bad upper strut mount can make anything from popping to rattling depending on how bumpy the road is and how slow you are going.

Nicky Pass

Established Member
I did...I hit everything!
It seems to make noise if I push the caliper. I wonder if its the caliper being loose, or the rotor!

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
my noise is 100% brakes. went over a bumpy road was rattling like hell, put my foot on the brake just enough for the caliper to squeeze a little but not bring the car to a stop and the rattling stopped. let off the brake started back up

Nicky Pass

Established Member
my noise is 100% brakes. went over a bumpy road was rattling like hell, put my foot on the brake just enough for the caliper to squeeze a little but not bring the car to a stop and the rattling stopped. let off the brake started back up

What was the problem?

Nicky Pass

Established Member
Gay gay gay gay gay!!!

The driver's side dust shield was really loose, so the shop drilled all of the rivets and replaced them with nuts and bolt with loc-tite.

I like my car again!

exdeath

Established Member
So what's the solution to rattling pins? Just a thicker washer behind the C clip to shim it up?

Users who are viewing this thread