00 Cobra-R motor????

Silver-Bolt

Twisted member
Established Member
Can anyone help me with this question? Are the internal parts on the 00 Cobra-R 5.4 the same as the Lightning? Does the R-motor use a different crank, pistons, and rods? If they are aftermarket does anyone know from where?

I have an oportunity to buy a new crate motor that i would like to adapt to my Lightning. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver-Bolt
Can anyone help me with this question? Are the internal parts on the 00 Cobra-R 5.4 the same as the Lightning? Does the R-motor use a different crank, pistons, and rods? If they are aftermarket does anyone know from where?

I have an oportunity to buy a new crate motor that i would like to adapt to my Lightning. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I am pretty sure the internals are completely different on the R motor, but maybe someone else more knowlegable can step in on this one?..

See the bio I wrote on the '00 R at the following link on this site..

http://www.svtperformance.com/about2k.htm

Here is an excerpt from the "Engine" section...

"The basis for the Cobra R’s engine is Ford’s Triton 5.4 liter V8. The engine makes use of some heavy-duty racing technology such as a forged steel crankshaft, Carrillo billet-steel connecting rods, and forged aluminum pistons. Ford engineers produced an engine capable of 385 HP and 385 lb/ft of torque, which is street legal, EPA certified and very drivable given its high output power. The engine also features specially developed high flow aluminum cylinder heads, with dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. Underneath, a Canton Racing Products oil pan provides additional oil capacity, and much improved windage losses and oil control under severe racing conditions. Cooling the synthetic Mobil One oil is an air-to-oil cooler system mounted just behind the front fascia."

Hope this helps?

TcM-668

Did you ever pull the trigger on the motor ?

I forgot to ask about crate motors today when I was on the phone with SVT re my rear knuckle upgrade...

If it is still available, what kind of price are we talking about ?

I have been thinking about getting a crate motor and swapping mine out, that way, if I destroy it, it won't be the # matching one...

I dunno...

Thanks...

Don...

TcM-668

welp...

if you can get a 00R crate motor...it seems like it is a good deal at almost any price, because according to Quentin at SVT, there are no spare motors available, and apparently no heads either...

I asked about a crate motor, and his response(after checking with someone, supposedly) was that there are none available, and that I would have to build one...(IE Navigator block, carillo rods, etc.) He suggested the FR-500 heads, as there are no 00R heads available ...

I really don't know if I want to flog on my car any more now...

I was going to get a crate motor so I don't whack my #s matching motor, but if a crate motor(or parts) are not available, then what do we do ??

block and stuff I don't worry about, but if you drop a valve, you'll be buying new heads(but there ain't none)...will the 00R intake work with the FR-500 heads and would the performance be the same ?

this is a pretty important problem that should be addressed...

Any thoughts ???

Don...

kwiksnake

Established Member
Check out sean hyland motorsport's web page. They have new 5.4 DOHC blocks w/heads. Granted they say it is a lightning engine but I really don't see the difference if it doesn't have the s/c on it.

TcM-668

I am looking at that as an option...

I talked to them, and they indicated that I could get a whole, race prep'd 5.4 with ported Cobra heads for $11,500 complete, top to bottom in a week or two.

Yes it is a lot of money, but I think a set of heads from SVT would be at least $ 5000...maybe more...beside, what would my car be worth if I trash the engine and have to put another in anyways...

Thanks for the info...

Don...

Users who are viewing this thread