00 R questions

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I picked up a 00 Cobra R for a friend last night and wanted to run a couple things by you 00 R owners to see if these are normal or not.

1. There was a random metallic ringing noise coming from the rear of the vehicle as I was driving home.

2. Ticking in the engine at idle (not the injectors)

3. LOTS of gear roll over when engaging 1st gear at low RPM's

Are these normal for 00 R's?

Thanks!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
I picked up a 00 Cobra R for a friend last night and wanted to run a couple things by you 00 R owners to see if these are normal or not.

1. There was a random metallic ringing noise coming from the rear of the vehicle as I was driving home.

Thanks!

1, If it's the sound that I am thinking of, Yea mine did it to. Check the rear driveshaft bolts and make sure they are tight. It quieted my down alot. You do hear noises that you don't normally hear in a car because of the lack of insulation in the body.

2, I believe some people have had some ticking. I think Kevin mentioned it at Road America, but I think he found it wasn't anything to worry about. Maybe he can step in and let us know.

3, Not sure what you are exactly referring to here?

kevin

Thanks!

1. like brian said. found the bolts to be tight (due to locktite) but never tightened all the way down.

2. i've got ticking on the pass side near sidewall. so far no problems and doesn't seem to be getting worse.

3. not sure what ya mean here.

kevin

Gear roll over sounds like a can of marbles upon initial clutch engagement.

Thanks!

i think some of that may be related to the driveshaft being loose. virtually "all" my drive line noises went away after the drive shaft bolts were properly tightened.

i still can't beleive ford let these out that way.

i sent john colletti an email about it. he said he's look into it. never heard back from him on it. i guess not enough owners reported it to get their attention.

of course massive brake failures have finally gotten thier attention and they STILL HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING ABOUT THAT.

so, whaddya expect. (this was built as a race car wasn't it?)

Andy M

Established Member

Thanks!
Mark,

As others have mentioned, most of the '00 R's came with some loose bolts on the drive shaft, including mine. Additionally, mine had a loose nut on the driver's side rear wheel, the one which holds the rotor on the car!! :uh oh: Once all of this stuff was done, including replacing the rear knuckle which was recalled... it is pretty solid now. As Kevin mentioned however, this car has no sound deadening material, so you hear everything!!

As for the motor ticking, mine also makes some unusual sounds, but I've been told by good mechanics to expect a racing engine to make more noises than a normal street engine. The ticking is not that bad on mine. And it usually becomes muffled by the glorious sounds from the massive air intake and the Bassani hiflow exhaust!! :D

The likely culprit for the gear rollover you are hearing is the hydromechanical diff clutch pack engaging and disengaging at low speeds. I get a faint thump when mine engages ...primarily heard only in 1st gear. Again, nothing to worry about - just normal everyday stuff for the R.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
You guys do realize how VALUABLE this information is? hell we could make a book!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin

i think there are several volumes already in this site:D

I think I know what the title of the book could be: "How to get posts off subject" written by Kevin Rogers and Dean Smeltzer. :D

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra-R

I think I know what the title of the book could be: "How to get posts off subject" written by Kevin Rogers and Dean Smeltzer. :D

(kevin quickly checks his posts in this thread and determines he's not been drawn of course and dean's not even been here. kevin then asks hisself about the above post. determines it came outta left field somewhere and he decides to duck)

joe, would you post the part number for your rotors. also, has brembo given you a recommended pad to go with them?

Users who are viewing this thread