'00 R - strange noise from rear end of car??

Andy M

Established Member
You guys with '00 R cars??

I am hearing a strange noise (sounds like something rubbing inside the diff??) when the car is cold. When it warms up, the noise is not there. And it only makes this rubbing sound when turning hard in either direction?

Is this coming from this fancy limited slip diff which is on this car? is it normal?

I suppose I should just drop in on Kenny Bumbera in Houston and have them take a look?

Any ideas on this? I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the car? Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way it pulls (jeez, it pulls like a mad dog!! :D ) or with the way it handles... just this strange noise when making turns and only when the car is cold. And it is definitely coming from the rear of the car.

I dunno?

Thoughts pls?

svtguy

Established Member
Andy. From what you discribed, It sound like that rear diff posi-unit disengauging during turning. I've heard a similair noise from posi-unit's when the Friction modifier additive that is added to the differetial fluid wear's out. Changing the fluid and adding the guine ford friction modifier additive fixes that niose. This may or may not be the case with your car. I have never heard that noise in my r, but it only has 600 miles on it also. If you don't drive the car for awhile, couple of weeks, the brakes will be a little noisy the first couple of times you apply them. I am just guessing you won't be letting that car sit undriven for that amount of time! I would have Kenny drive it and get his opinion.

Congrats on the purchase. They are one hell of any attention getter!!!!!!! Start getting used to it.

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread