'00 R SubFrame Connectors and such.

TcM-668

I have been talking to Rich at Kenny Brown Performance, and they have just finished the first set of subframe connectors for a '00 R that works with the side exhaust.

I have a set on order, and should have them here shortly.

When I do, I'll get pricing, and pictures up.

According to Rich, properly placing and reinforcing the subframes is a very tricky situation on the '00 R, given the side exhaust, etc.

I don't know if they will have jacking rails, etc, but I figure they should.

If anyone is interested, please give them a call and ask for Rich, or PM me and I'll get you information when I get it.

Don ...

Andy M

Established Member
Don,

Excuse my ignorance on this, but what the heck are "subframe connectors" and why would I want/need to change them on my R?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Don,

Excuse my ignorance on this, but what the heck are "subframe connectors" and why would I want/need to change them on my R?

Andy,
Subframe connectors are kinda like rails that are welded to the bottom of the Mustangs to connect and reinforce the front subframe to the rear subframe. Basically there is a front frame and a rear frame on our cars connected together by the floor pan. It is a weak point and allows flex while under stress like on the track. Why they didn't install them from from the factory on a car like this we will probly never know. Convertables as I understand do get sub frame connectors from the factor to help make up for the lack of support the roof gives.

I have never done anything with subframe connectors before till my 01 Cobra. I installed a set of H&R springs, Bilstien scocks/struts, and caster camber plates on my 01 this fall. They stiffened up the car like you'd expect, but were far behind what the R is. About a month later I installed a set of Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors. The difference was unbelieveable just driving down the street. I am completely sold on them now and they only cost $119 for the normal cobra.

If you have or are going to have a full cage installed in your R, it may be debateable whether you really need the connectors. We are installing a bolt in 6 point roll bar in our 95R and are gona install subframe connectors at the same time.

Hope it helped, Brian

TcM-668

The problem with most of the SN-95 subframe connectors is that they are made of round tubing, and that would cause interference with the side exhaust. I think they are using rectangular tubing, which is thinner, but wider(what is normally used on Fox-bodied mustangs) so it should offer the strength, while maintaining a lower profile..

Another benefit might be the inclusion of jacking rails...that would allow you to jack up the car from either side, without having to hit a specific frame point. You can also suspend the car from the jacking rails too...great for working on it on jack stands.

Don't know that for a fact, but that seems to be a selling point for the other subframe connectors they offer...

When I get mine in, we'll see what it looks like.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I really do not get a kick back from this...hehehehe

don ...

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
Anymore information on these subframe connectors?

I am wondering as I am going to be using a custom side exit exhaust on my stang.. I need the aded strength of the subframes too.

Let us know.

Thanks,
Matt

TcM-668

The stuff is on order from Kenny Brown, but don't have a specific date as to when everything will be ready...

I asked them to hold everything til the rear end is finished, so that it will save me time and money on shipping.

I'll see if I can get some pictures though...

I'll keep you posted...

Don....

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Don,

Here are some pictures on subframe connectors I just installed on our 95R. Look at the black rails running front to rear, that is what they are. These are Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors, but it gives you an idea what they are about.
The last picture is for Deans benefit, it is a pic with the torque arm, panard bar, and lower control arms that I installed at the same time.

Hope this helps you to understand what we are referring to.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
The aluminum rod is the panard bar. If you want to see better pictures of something specific, let me know.

Andy M

Established Member
I talked to Rich today at Kenny Brown and he said they are still testing but are close to finishing up on the subframe connectors for the 2000 R. They have a 2000 R there getting this work done ... I can't remember who the car belongs to? any one on this board??

Anyway, I ordered the rear steering kit from them. Same one Joe Johnson installed on his R. I also ordered a new (much stiffer) front sway bar - again the same as Joe put on his car. Both should arrive by next Monday and get installed in time for my mid-March run at TWS. Man, I am dying to get the R back on the track!!!! Joe ran his R on the TWS track this past weekend with the Porsche Club and he said his R was possessed with the new handling characteristics - from the new sway bar and the new steering kit for the rear.

I am scheduled to bring my car in for the roll cage in April. Man, lot's of work to do between now and then...

Jersey Vics

www.SVTregistry.com
Established Member
I have been talking with Kenny Brown marketing for a few months now, and we're trying to work out some sort of incentive for people to buy Kenny Brown over the counter products through www.jerseyvics.com

If we come up with a reasonable deal, I'm sure I can get Steve to take advantage of it as well, as this is one of the best places that has a lot of SVT owners hanging out.

--Russ:bash:

TcM-668

I have heard good things about Kenny Brown, and the '00 R they are working on belongs to a board member...

I have talked to him, but will not mention names unless he wishes to step forward...

I will fully document how my car goes together once everything is done...

I am thinking about opt'ing for the full tubular front K member too...We'll just have to see...

At least someone is taking an interest in our cars...besides us...

Don...

I am waiting on torsen and GNK now...

Users who are viewing this thread