00 to 04 Head Unit?? HELP!!!!

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
So i decided to buy a newer 6 disc in dash cd player rather than keep the stock head unit that came with my 00L.

When I first removed the 00 HU, the 04 would not fit because of the CD changing capability. There is a ridge behind the player from where the 00 slopes at a 45 degree angle (looks simular to a wedge of cheese after taken out) and then the 04 is a box shape the entire length.

So...to make this fit, I would ahve to trim a ledge in the dash to make up for the extra room of the 6dsc changer. no a big deal

Now, the plugs are the same on the rear except for a new port on the 04 that looks like an external amp. Did the 04's come with an extra speaker of somesort or something? Id like to be able to fix this problem ASAP.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan
YUL LUZ

BlueOvalBoy!

Established Member
I got an 03 L 6 disc in-dash and my harness plugged right in. I didn't have an extra port. You should have enough length in your harness that you can plug it into the new HU and see if it works. If so you will need to trim the upper portion of the cavity where the top left and right edges and back top edge rub. Once you do that it should fit fine. Don't remove any of the lip around the opening until you absolutely have to. I wish someone would told me this 'cause I really hacke things up to get my 03 HU into my dash.

TXRickC

Established Member
Did you get a 6-disc in-dash from an F150/other or was it from a Mustang? They look the same, but the Mustang version is for external amps (Mach 460, Mach 1000, etc).

On the button on the top row of the radio (2nd from the right next to Mute) what does it have on it? COMP or DSP

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Do you need the 'U' Tools to remove the new radio too or does it look like it's held in with bolts?

blown9350lx

JazboSVT
Established Member
Make sure you didnt get a mustang one. How to tell the mustang one doesnt have the four holes to use the radio removal tool. I just put one in mine and it plugged right in.

Users who are viewing this thread