01-03 cobra irs question.

SVTsamson22

Established Member
I just recently switched my 03 irs for a 01 irs it had full tilt boogie bushings ford diff cover along with 3.73 gears installed I noticed right away after the switch it was alot more clunky when I'm cruising and just let off the gas I get a clunk sound underneath noticed it was messing the housing block like the 03 anybody have a idea on this or does that come along with the new bushings ?

Attachments

• 20210921_202109.jpg
    20210921_202109.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210921_195309.jpg
    20210921_195309.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 77

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's a dampner to help with vibrations. It's useless with the aftermarket gears so you might as well toss it. And make sure the bolts holding the diff housing are right while you're there.

SVTsamson22

Established Member
Okay that makes sense. Just still wondering what is the cause of the clunking when I'm shifting or giving it gas then when I let off it feels like the backend pushes to the front and I hear clunk scares the crap outta me like something is loose back there.

Dave.O

Established Member
Check the two front and single rear bolts are torqued to spec
I had something similar and the fronts were slightly loose

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Okay that makes sense. Just still wondering what is the cause of the clunking when I'm shifting or giving it gas then when I let off it feels like the backend pushes to the front and I hear clunk scares the crap outta me like something is loose back there.
That's why I said make sure the bolts are tight. It sounds like the diff is moving around.

Depending on how loud it could just be the Cobra clunk.

SVTsamson22

Established Member
I recently had the new irs and I forgot to mention a new clutch at the same time. had the shop tighten them to the correct torque I mean its pretty loud the first 30 minutes of driving especially when I give it gas and let off I here a knock sound by the Trans and driveshaft anything you guys would recommend new bolts maybe ?

Users who are viewing this thread