01 4v heads on my 01 2v

Lethalvenom2008

Established Member
Im looking to buy so 4v heads.:shrug:can it be done.will they have no trouble putting them on ? will the compression drop raise?

cheesegt

584 SS
Established Member
so your telling me that if i get some mach 1 heads and put them on my GT they will work?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
so your telling me that if i get some mach 1 heads and put them on my GT they will work?

you need the complete top end pretty much, heads, intake, fuel rails, etc, its a good bit of parts but yes it will work and if you do that you pretty much have an automatic mach 1 engine since it doesnt come with a forged crank like the 5 spd mach's do

4point6god

Established Member
Noob

Definitely worth it to buy all the individual parts, intake, heads, timing chain, chain tensioners, valve covers, gaskets, throttle body separate definitely well worth the time. Definitely better money wise than just buying a whole motor assembly. :rolleyes:

SOHCit2me

Established Member

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Oh man, I love that myth

"The Modular V-8 didn't get its name from its design. The name was derived from its manufacturing plant protocol--Modular--because the engine plant can be changed out in a matter of hours to produce different versions of this engine family."

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/mufp_0509_ford_modular_v8_engine/index.html

thats exactly how i meant it, i just didnt word it the same or go into depth. A simple head change and such changes the motors so much. I really dont feel like going into depth now lol so im not but you get the pic

SOHCit2me

Established Member
I guess it's more of a misunderstanding than a myth. For three years windsor engines were put into mustangs. 1999-2001. You'd need windsor heads for this project. For the amount of work it just wouldn't be worth it.

Bluebullit

Established Member
unless your 01 what built in the 2nd half of the year then you dont have a windsor block. anyways not only do you need all that you will need a mach 1 or cobra computer and a wiring harness unless you just get your harness lengthened, plus you will need new coils and several parts. but best of luck to you on whatever you decide to do.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
unless your 01 what built in the 2nd half of the year then you dont have a windsor block. anyways not only do you need all that you will need a mach 1 or cobra computer and a wiring harness unless you just get your harness lengthened, plus you will need new coils and several parts. but best of luck to you on whatever you decide to do.

ive seen plenty of people just use the GT wiring harness and adapt it to the 4v setup. Its a nice mod for the cars. On my car id have to get the later 4v heads since I have a late build 2001. Very late build actually.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Im looking to buy so 4v heads.:shrug:can it be done.will they have no trouble putting them on ? will the compression drop raise?

Your compression will drop by a good bit. The 4V combustion chamber is 52cc vs the PI's 43cc.

You'll want flattop pistons or at least NPI pistons if you want to stay n/a with 4V heads.

I personally would sell your current engine and buy a whole 4V assembly with aluminum block and all. That's the route I went. You can score complete low mileage 4V crates for about $2,000 shipped if you shop around a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread