01 blown motor can i install a 98 b head?

386kustoms

hey guys new on here and have done a lot of reading up. i have wrecked my 96 cobra and was looking for a sn95 body to put my motor in. i came across a 01 cobra that has a blown motor / cracked block in it fairly cheap. from what i read the best thing to do would be to swap over the heads and intake and put my block in there. i am not building this car for racing its just going to be a daily driver as i have a 07 saleen that i have built up. i was just curious if there is any way to just put the whole 96 motor in there heads and all. i know i would have to change the gas and cruise cables but if i install imrc deletes can i just plug in harness and be good to go? are there any other differences between the years?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes, you can swap the heads. But if the C heads are good why not put those on your 96 block and drop that in the 01?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

386kustoms

the main reason is i am not sure if the 01 heads are good. i know my motor is in fine shape and i was just looking for a easier swap then getting into changing everything over

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I would add, the amount of work to swap the B head engine , into the 01 , would be more , than just changing top end .

386kustoms

what else is needed? the bottom ends are the same from what i read,( as far as bolt on) and im already doing the swap so the acc brackets and hoses will be coming off anyway.

98-svt-stang

Established Member
what else is needed? the bottom ends are the same from what i read,( as far as bolt on) and im already doing the swap so the acc brackets and hoses will be coming off anyway.

You will need b heads, b intake, throttle and cruise cable, b head alternator bracket, b head coolant crossover, you will have to modify the 2001 cobra fuel rail by relocating mounting tabs, you will need to use the b head intake tube as well. And you will have to fab up tubing for you pcv system and all the other vacuum operated systems. You will also have to extend some wires in your engine harness to reach different sensor locations. I just did a c head swap on my 1998 cobra it should be the sane thing just in reverse. I have a good bit of the parts you would need as well. Let me know if you need anything. But if i were you id get the c heads you have checked out at a machine shop. It would be easier and make more power if you could use the 2001 cobra heads on your 1996 bottom end.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
He says he has a 96 Cobra in the first post. So he probably has all the small parts needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

386kustoms

yes im trying to figure out the easiest thing to do, let me try to make it clearer i guess. i own a running driving 96 cobra with a perfect motor in it. car was hit hard so i was looking for a nother 96 bodystyle to swap my motor in, i came across a 01 that is complete but has a cracked block. im asking what would be needed if i pull my motor out of my 96 and drop it in the 01? the only difference i can see reading on here is the fact that my 96 motor has imrc and the 01 do not and yes also i read that the fuel rail will need to be off of the 01. im just trying not to do a head swap because i am insure of the condition on the 01 heads

98-svt-stang

Established Member
yes im trying to figure out the easiest thing to do, let me try to make it clearer i guess. i own a running driving 96 cobra with a perfect motor in it. car was hit hard so i was looking for a nother 96 bodystyle to swap my motor in, i came across a 01 that is complete but has a cracked block. im asking what would be needed if i pull my motor out of my 96 and drop it in the 01? the only difference i can see reading on here is the fact that my 96 motor has imrc and the 01 do not and yes also i read that the fuel rail will need to be off of the 01. im just trying not to do a head swap because i am insure of the condition on the 01 heads

Everything should bolt up. Except the 2001 fuel rail you will need to use. You will have to use the 2001 engine harness and some wires will be extended and moved. I would use the 2001 valve covers and coil packs. The 1996 has two coolant temp sensors you will only be using 1 with the 2001 harness. You will definitely need to use or make imrc delete plates . I am unsure if the older knock sensors will work with the newer ecu. I would just delete the knock sensors and have them turned off in the tune. You should have it tuned when your done.

386kustoms

thank you very much, does it matter what temp sender to use? also can i install the knock sensors from the 01 into my 96 motor ? i was thinking of the imrc plates, can i just cut out the butterflys?
Everything should bolt up. Except the 2001 fuel rail you will need to use. You will have to use the 2001 engine harness and some wires will be extended and moved. I would use the 2001 valve covers and coil packs. The 1996 has two coolant temp sensors you will only be using 1 with the 2001 harness. You will definitely need to use or make imrc delete plates . I am unsure if the older knock sensors will work with the newer ecu. I would just delete the knock sensors and have them turned off in the tune. You should have it tuned when your done.

98-svt-stang

Established Member
thank you very much, does it matter what temp sender to use? also can i install the knock sensors from the 01 into my 96 motor ? i was thinking of the imrc plates, can i just cut out the butterflys?

The connector will only fit one of the sensors so use whichever one fits. The 96 block has bigger threaded holes for the knock sensors so the newer sensors wont thread into the block. And I would modify your imrc plates to get rid of the butterfly valves. Im sure there are plenty of write ups on how to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread