01 cobra A/F ratio

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Sorry if this has been covered... but every time i use search i get a server error...

Ive got an 01 and just put a wideband on it... my A/f is all over the place and from a 2v standpoint pig rich. Is it that big of a difference in 2v and 4v? In my 2v my A/f was steady at 14.6 and was told thats where it needed to be... this car is running damn near 12.2 what i was told was forced induction territory back in the day... what the hell is my car suppose to run?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the car tuned? Part throttle sounds ok. But WOT needs some work. When I was N/A I kept it around 12.5. With the blower I'm at 11.5.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
yeah seems like you need a little more work on your Maf transfer table if its that much of a variation... looks like your sig shows a SCT can tune so probably benefit from a datalog and have that tune tweaked if nothing else.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Can I not get it closer (no way perfect I understand) with the wideband? Everyone always says that its not possible but whats the difference between my wideband and a sniffer on a dyno... hell theres is closer to the end of the trail anyways lol

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
So is my targeted area im looking for 12.5-12.8? (like i was saying) in my GT 14.6 wot was where my tuner had me put it on a dyno tune (using a diablo mind you) so I figured it would be closer to that... whats so different in these 4v that the a/f is so low in comparison?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can I not get it closer (no way perfect I understand) with the wideband? Everyone always says that its not possible but whats the difference between my wideband and a sniffer on a dyno... hell theres is closer to the end of the trail anyways lol

The reading at the tailpipe is the least accurate. You want to take the reading as close to the engine as possible. That's why wideband sensors are installed so close to the engine.

So is my targeted area im looking for 12.5-12.8? (like i was saying) in my GT 14.6 wot was where my tuner had me put it on a dyno tune (using a diablo mind you) so I figured it would be closer to that... whats so different in these 4v that the a/f is so low in comparison?

If your tuner told you a good A/F at WOT is 14.6 you need to find a new tuner. That's way too lean. IMO opinion 12.5 is a good N/A A/F. Some guys prefer 13.0. But then I've always tuned on the conservative side.

The difference is you're running a canned tune (which I didn't see because I'm on tapatalk). Most canned tunes are set up very safe because they're a one size fits most. To get the most out of your combo you need a custom tune.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sorry to hijack but what is a good wot a/f for a nitrous car?

CJK440

Established Member
The reading at the tailpipe is the least accurate. You want to take the reading as close to the engine as possible. That's why wideband sensors are installed so close to the engine.

Actually a heated wideband can be located anywhere in the system and will read just as accurate assuming no leaks in the system. The reason o2 sensors were placed close to the motor is so they will heat up. The new sensors are heated and don't care. The tailpipe should be good to assuming it is sampled correctly.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Last time I was on the dyno I had the sniffer in the tailpipe and my wide band by the header collector. I saw a bit of a difference. Like .2 or .3. I didn't have cats at the time. Personally I prefer it by the collector.

Oh, and I did run the wideband behind my new cats for a bit before having a bung installed. It showed about 1 point leaner then it actually was like that.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If I go ask over there are you going to answer over there? lol

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a dick. I just suggested it because nitrous guys hang out in there too. If I knew the answer I'd give it to you. I've heard that a nitrous car will show an N/A A/F ratio. Like 12.5-13.0. But I've never run nitrous so I don't know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread