01' Cobra acts like door is open: Need Help

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
So my 01 has been doing something weird since I've had it. looking to diagnose.

It's almost like the door is open 75% of the time, the following weird things happen at that frequency, the other 25% of the time it's normal.

• When I get out of the car and lock using the key fob it beeps twice like the door isn't shut all the way (Even though it is). Sometimes it works as it should and beeps once
  • The interior light goes off when the car is started, but when the car is turned off it comes on and stays on the same frequency as above like the door is open
  • When turned off with the key in the ignition, no lights on, the car dings like the doors are open, again they are not.
  • After the car sits for a while the light goes off and if I lock it the doors beep once like the doors are closed.

I replaced the door switch on the drivers door as that's the only door that is open and closed a lot, thinking that if there was a slow switch on the passenger door it would stay in the closed position as that door is rarely opened.

It seemed fine for that day, the next day it was back to the above problems.

Car is all stock, it does have a viper alarm on the car.

Is there any way to figure out which door the car thinks is open to isolate?

Anyone experience anything like this before?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
When I had that happen I lubed the latch on the door with white lithium, opene and closed it several times, never happened again.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Edit: Disregard what I wrote here. I was wrong! Must be thinking of a different car.

I'm almost positive your car will beep once if your drivers side door locks but passenger already locked and then beep twice if both doors are locked with both originally unlocked. I think beeping twice is normal for that, but someone can probably verify that.

Dunno bout the other issues.

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
If it were me, Id first assume it was some messed up viper alarm installation. But thats assuming it all started after installation. Did you have the alarm installed or did it come that way, did it have any problems before install?

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
If it were me, Id first assume it was some messed up viper alarm installation. But thats assuming it all started after installation. Did you have the alarm installed or did it come that way, did it have any problems before install?

This is a big concern of mine, it was on the car when I bought it. I've thought about taking it off, but it's one of the fancy one with 1,000,000 connections and I'm afraid taking it off will damage the factory harness in some way (Possibly more than it is now). I have had a hard time finding the viper brain as well.

Ham I put some lithium grease on both the doors and the trunk lid catches today. At first it seemed okay, it acted normal (one beep, light off when door closes) at home. But after I drove to the drug store it again did the fast 2 beep.

I completely replaced the sensor on the drivers door with a new one from Steve. the contacts to the harness have some electrical grease to protect the connection and even the old sensor was pretty clean. I sprayed some WD-40 into the latch in May before I parked the car while I was traveling for work and 2 days later my power lock door lock actuator died in the door.

I've always thought the power window rolls up to far on the drivers side, maybe driving this issue. I had the dealership check this last time I was in for service (2 weeks ago) and they said that the mechanism for the power window was fine and was supposed to go up as far as it does. However it does this even with the window rolled down.

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
So today I killed power to the alarm system, took out the fuse from the power lead. I noticed instantly my power windows on the drivers door stopped working, they must be ran through the viper alarm for one touch up and down for both doors and opening via the remote.

Still had the door open issue. After it sat in my driveway for a few minutes it was fine. I opened the door and closed it, one beep when locked. Did this a few more times and it worked fine.

Drove to work ( 1 mile away ) and it did the 2 honks again and acted like the door was open when I turned the engine off (dinging sound when power set to acc and dome light on).

Getting very frustrating, I lithium greased the hell out of the latch and striker plate doors, no help.

green99_svt

Established Member
You have an intermittent open in the door ajar switch circuit. One wire is about to break / hanging on by a strand, and it's probably in the door jam on left side in the boot between the body and door. If it's not there you will need to chase it back to the module. Bad connection maybe some green crud in a connector in the kick panel. Check the connections where the alarm is spliced you may have issues there too especially if the used scotch locks

Last edited:

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
Thanks I think I'm going to take the alarm out one weekend and try to repair the areas where the wires were spliced in.

Those Scotch Locks look like exactly what they used to install the alarm.

I thought it may be a bad wire in the harness, but I figured the dome light would come on and off while driving, but the light goes out as soon as I start the car. If I open the door while running the light goes on, and turns back off when I close the door.

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
Apparently this is a function of the alarm, it makes the car think the door is open to keep the interior light on when you turn off the key.

After ~30 seconds of the key being off it goes back to normal and works perfectly, i can get in and out and it locks fine and acts like it's supposed to.

I did take a look under the dash to see what would be involved with removing the alarm, and it didn't take too long to realize that it's just easier to live with it then to remove the alarm. If you use the Viper alarm remotes it works perfectly, I just like using the ford remotes.

Users who are viewing this thread