'01 cobra beats s281 saleen

del cavazos

Established Member
:burn: '01 stock cobra (other than cat back exhaust) beats '02 s281 supercharged saleen mustang through 1/4 (and beyond). s281 was not gaining, and i was pulling away from s281 even in third gear. sad but true

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Originally posted by mean saleen
dont get your hopes up he has a shittly blower and 3.08 rear end gears.

Can't you guys just bolt on a KB blower? I think I read somewhere that 6-8 pounds of boost should get you 350 rwhp. Oh and if it's a 02 Saleen stock gears are 3.27's.

04HillzGT

Established Member
how is that possible I mean you're talking about an NA 01 cobra that's almost stock vs a supercharged s281 are they really that slow? I'd figure that the supercharger would be good for something

99SVTcobraVERT

shitty driver because those cars run good stock. 300+ and 340+ rwtq at wheels in 2002. run across a series IV and you wont have such good luck. dyno'd one bone stock last week and it went 351rwhp and 387rwtq

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
shitty driver because those cars run good stock. 300+ and 340+ rwtq at wheels in 2002. run across a series IV and you wont have such good luck. dyno'd one bone stock last week and it went 351rwhp and 387rwtq

Well I see a few dyno's of 99-02 supercharged Saleens. I was shock to see that they only dyno at 290 to the wheel. That first supercharger Saleen used on 99+ S281 sucked just like MeanSaleen said.

So I can believe a close to stock 01 Cobra would beat it. Good Kill.

99SVTcobraVERT

281, yes they sucked. however... its not all about peak hp numbers. being irs even with saleen shit being all over it making it heavy its about same weight as 01 cobra even still. then factor in that it makes all of its hp by 6000 rpm and a TON of tq down low. ive raced stock s281 sc before when i was mostly stock with just catback and x pipe and i couldnt beat one on street. i managed to edge one out in 1/8th because i tree'd him off line. but he def ran faster and quicker than me and i had 3:73's also. but a 2002 had few changes that got it over 300rwhp and lots more tq than the cobra. i do not believe that an all stock 01 cobra with just catback of any kind will beat a saleen s281 sc, he beat the driver; which im happy to say is all that matters :beer:

Cobra4pt6

Banned
well when i had just a CAI and Exhaust, from a roll i ran heads up with a New Edge Roush Stage 3, we were dead even from 40 to 100mph b4 we both shut down. i believe that a near stock cobra can run with an s/c saleen from a roll.. they have no top end, it's all on the bottom....from a stop though, i think that roush would have killed me.

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
Shitty Driver on the Saleen, The Saleen Should have killed you man! Not to take away from your kill but he should have owned you! But good Kill!

66sprint6

Blown Inliner (soon)
Established Member
The fact that he should have owned you but didnt is good enough for me!!! Good kill, the driver is as much a part of the game as the car.
Matt

wma8706

Established Member
I happen to have driven both cars for some time, and can say that from a dig the 99-02 saleen would edge out the 01 cobra, but from a 40 mph roll, I think the 01 cobra has more top end charge. I dont think the 99-02 s281 sc is that much quicker than 00-02 ls1 f-bodies. The saleen is capable of low 13's with a good driver. Quicker than 01 cobra maybe but owning one:I dont think so! Beautiful looking car though!

99SVTcobraVERT

Originally posted by Cobra4pt6
well when i had just a CAI and Exhaust, from a roll i ran heads up with a New Edge Roush Stage 3, we were dead even from 40 to 100mph b4 we both shut down. i believe that a near stock cobra can run with an s/c saleen from a roll.. they have no top end, it's all on the bottom....from a stop though, i think that roush would have killed me.

i have a buddy with a 2001 stage 3 that dyno bone stock at 333rwhp and like 360rwtq. i dont see how in the world you stayed with him unless you were coupe with some weight out and he was a vert, you went from your rpm and you got the go. i ran my buddies vert with my 01 vert when i was 300rhwp with 3:73 and he had no problem taking me from 40-110ish before shutting down. it wasnt a horrible defeat but def not worth trying to convince myself that it was close either... and i also dont believe that ANY blown v8 modular mustang doesnt have a top end unless he just isnt geared for it. i watched his roush go toe to toe with an 03 cobra convt with just exhaust mods to 150 mph. this was also when the roush put on bassani x pipe and just touch smaller pulley for about 1.5lbs more boost. he dyno then at 368rwhp 390rwtq

no way can a STOCK 01 cobra run with any 99+ saleen sc car from a dig or from a roll. even if the saleen makes crap 280/290 at the wheels he is STILL going to have massave low end hp and tq and over all more tq than the cobra. and will still be more than able to hit 150 with no issues and if anything with the kit and suspension do it with more ease than the stock cobra. the tq alone with little more hp gives it the edge in a dig situation and even in a low roll thru top end. this is again granted that the saleen guy can actually drive. "power in the hands of a few" and getting beat by 01 cobra mostly stock is power in the hands of a few that cant drive!

p.s. if anyone in this area doesnt believe this then i will be more than happy to set you up with a stock saleen sc.

99SVTcobraVERT

Originally posted by wma8706
I happen to have driven both cars for some time, and can say that from a dig the 99-02 saleen would edge out the 01 cobra, but from a 40 mph roll, I think the 01 cobra has more top end charge. I dont think the 99-02 s281 sc is that much quicker than 00-02 ls1 f-bodies. The saleen is capable of low 13's with a good driver. Quicker than 01 cobra maybe but owning one:I dont think so! Beautiful looking car though!

i have owned many cobra's, driven many saleens and roush stage 3. and raced more than just about anyone on this board because of the company ive kept over past 3 years. i have raced just about every saleen power combo made stock and modified; with the exception of the SR and s7. i can tell you RIGHT now that when i raced a yellow bone stock 99 saleen coupe he tore me a new a$$hole. same happened when i ran a 00 vert. this was me all motor, no spray. now when i opened the bottle, it was a different story all together. flat out if you believe that you have a mostly stock 99-01 cobra that can beat a newer v8 with boost then you are just high, stupid, or both. and hell even a fox body with 9lbs or 96-98 gt will go over 300 bone stock otherwise.

XLR8-R

Established Member
Saleen/Roush

Because a Roush dynoed at 333 has nothing to do with a Saleen supercharged. They have totally different intakes and computers, the Roush is far superior as far as power.(If you need me to tell you why I can) I also have driven several, and know people with each, including an 02 Roush 360R, and a 99 Saleen S-281 supercharged. I recently sold my 99 Cobra hdtp. The 99 Saleen recently ran a 13.97 @ 98mph(best that night), the 02 Roush runs 13.6 at best mph of 107(mostly at 104-105). My bolt on Cobra went 13.38 @ 105.98(best) These times are all at the same track. The Cobra definitely would give a supercharged Roush a run from a roll, maybe it has more average horsepower? Remember, it is a supercharged 2 valve V8, and as far as the Saleens go(not an extreme), I would guess they would dyno at about 290 to 300 at the wheels, which is what a bolt on 01 Cobra would. Maybe someone that owns an S-281 could say? By the way, I also owned a 99 Cobra conv., and it was quite a bit slower than my hdtp with almost the same mods, probably the weight and it had much more wheel hop than my coupe. It probably would have been beat by a Saleen from a dig, not a roll. That's how I see it, flame away!

wma8706

Established Member
dont doubt the arguments here about the blown saleen but I'm just quoting from my experience in both cars. The argument about saleen's performance looks good on paper but on the street and on any given day the outcome may be different. Its like comparing dyno numbers on a 320 rwhp ls1 with a 287 rwhp mach1 both cars being stick shifts and have comparable weights. On paper the ls1 looks to outgun the mach1 but in real life these 2 cars are very equal in 1/4 mile. I also agree there is a bit of performance difference between a cobra conv., and cobra coupe. The argument of nearstock cobra vs boosted 2v modular.... well depends on what one considers near stock. With my 4.30 and catback I think I can comfortably hold my own against a stock s281sc ..... ( guess I may be high and stupid)

Joe5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001

hey i just put that supercharger on my saleen. what year saleen was that and it had no other mods?? damn im hopin for 330rwhp. those numbers would be great. back to the saleen stuff i think its all on the rear end gears. and the driver. the saleen series 1-4 sucked. i have to admit. yes you can put a kenne bell on and it puts down 410rwhp for more money at 9psi which is pushin it. sometimes you gotta look at saleens as a stock gt motor and mod it as if it wasnt supercharged saleen like new cams +30hp, full exhaust +15 port and polish heads +60 tune and focus fuel pump, and your goona be over 400rwhp which is what saleen should have done in my opinion. also the saleen manifold has room for improvement, porting wise. non the lees great job. i truthfully have yet 2 see a saleen in high 12's and it pisses me off:shrug:

corysmach1

Established Member
Originally posted by wma8706
dont doubt the arguments here about the blown saleen but I'm just quoting from my experience in both cars. The argument about saleen's performance looks good on paper but on the street and on any given day the outcome may be different. Its like comparing dyno numbers on a 320 rwhp ls1 with a 287 rwhp mach1 both cars being stick shifts and have comparable weights. On paper the ls1 looks to outgun the mach1 but in real life these 2 cars are very equal in 1/4 mile. I also agree there is a bit of performance difference between a cobra conv., and cobra coupe. The argument of nearstock cobra vs boosted 2v modular.... well depends on what one considers near stock. With my 4.30 and catback I think I can comfortably hold my own against a stock s281sc ..... ( guess I may be high and stupid)

I agree, it is not all about the HP numbers its all the driver and if the car gets the power to the ground. And for a perfect example the Mach 1 vs. LS-1, yeah the LS-1 puts down more power on the dyno but F-body cars dont launch well and have a tall first gear so therefore giving the Mach the edge in 1/4 mile. I also think you would hold your own in the 1/4 mile against SC 281 if you can get your car to hook. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread