01 cobra heads -vs- 03 Mach 1 heads

Lumpydogs

Established Member
Are the 03 Mach 1 heads that much better than the 01 cobra heads? :shrug:

Opportunity to switch to Mach 1 heads during rebuild, any real advantage?

All input appreciated .

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
They flow a little better on the intake side and a bit better on the exhaust side. I'm sure some one will post the flow #'s for both for comparison.

wma8706

Established Member
It's intersesting to me how the Mach heads flow a bit better along with a bump in compression yet are less agressive with the cams. It seems to me... Ford wanted to compromise more TQ vs peak HP in a na factory 4V engine!

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
everything bolts up the same though right? valve covers and intake?

It's a good upgrade if you are in that area already and yes, they will bolt up without any issues.

I have no idea why they even show flow numbers at .500" because you rarely see cams with more than .475" lift.

Cleaned up Mach heads, flat top pistons, advanced intake cams and LTs will get you in the 350 rwhp range.

Last edited:

realitygt

Established Member
It's a good upgrade if you are in that area already and yes, they will bolt up without any issues.

I have no idea why they even show flow numbers at .500" because you rarely see cams with more than .475" lift.

Cleaned up Mach heads, flat top pistons, advanced intake cams and LTs will get you in the 350 rwhp range.

which stock cams would be better then? the 99/01 or the 03/04?

I'm in pretty much the same situation.. my stock head needs some repair done to it from a broken ringland, and I don't want to pay the $700 just to repair it.. so i'm thinking about upgrading to the newer c heads.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member

99/01 for sure, it has almost 20 degrees more duration than the 03/04 cams. 200 degrees compared to 184-186ish I believe.

If you can get your hands on a set of 96-98 cams, that would be even better [I have a set of them if you're interested], they have 204 degrees.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
99/01 for sure, it has almost 20 degrees more duration than the 03/04 cams. 200 degrees compared to 184-186ish I believe.

If you can get your hands on a set of 96-98 cams, that would be even better [I have a set of them if you're interested], they have 204 degrees.

pm price, interested

thanks

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

I'm in pretty much the same situation.. my stock head needs some repair done to it from a broken ringland, and I don't want to pay the $700 just to repair it.. so i'm thinking about upgrading to the newer c heads.

At that price you can find a used set in the market section thats in decent shape. With a FR500 kit it would be a great upgrade.

yellow01

Established Member

im also in the same situation. but what about 03/04 cobra cams?

01yellercobra

Established Member

FWIW, I found a set of complete 03 heads in the market section for $625 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread