01 Cobra vs. 5.7 GTO auto.

M SIX

Go Big or Go Home
Established Member
We were both kind of eyeing each other as we pumped gas into our cars at the gas station. Both vehilces were clean as hell and looked sharp. After paying I pulled out and he whipped out right behind me then we both conveniently caught a red light side by side. I knew it was on when I heard him brake (torque) or brake holding the car preparing for a launch. I got my revs up and on green we both shot off like the Daytona 500. I launched hard and caught traction about half way through 1st. 3 clean powershifts and the 4.10's carried me out from there. He fell back 1/2 car lenth in first and I slowly creeped away from him from there. Thumbs up were exchanged.

Hatchman

Established Member
Good kill, that's a good fair race from pretty even cars. Nice job!

383man

Established Member
Sounds about right. My friend has an auto gto 04. The best he can get is a 13.4 w/shortys, intake, full exhaust, dyno tune, drag bags and radials. And I cant figure it out either I guess those converters must suck+the gear being really shitty. But he does 13.4@101 with 310 rwhp. I mean the converter must be terrible but the cars making the power on the dyno but not at the track. And he has 1.8 60' so they are not too terrible. Thanks Tim

GH1086

Established Member
Good race. You're 4.10's are what got him. As for the other GTO trapping 101MPH, that's bad especially with those mods. I'm trapping 100MPH with just an intake, cat-back, and crappy Predator tune. If I could run in some good weather I could definitely add a few MPH to it too. The converter is a really really low stall, I believe it's around 1500RPM's but the rear gearing isn't too bad at all, we have 3.46's stock.

JUGRNAUT

Banned
The 5.7 GTO's make aorund 310-320 to the tires, and typically run low-mid 13's stock. Their 3800lb curb weight is waht gets them.

The LS2 GTO's are a much better car IMO, mainly due to the engine, but also because of the appearance mods.

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
i'm lookin forward to a race against a 5.7 gto and maybe even a 6.0 when i get some et streets soon, 4.10's here also

caindo

Established Member
JUGRNAUT said:
The 5.7 GTO's make aorund 310-320 to the tires, and typically run low-mid 13's stock. Their 3800lb curb weight is waht gets them.

The LS2 GTO's are a much better car IMO, mainly due to the engine, but also because of the appearance mods.

auto 04s dont make that much at the wheels.

383man

Established Member
Yeah 101 is terrible but his gt weighed near 3900 curb i was like woooowww. But yeah he has some issues still should be getting 104 mph all day. I say converter and he is doing 3.91's and maybe cam and heads but thats still not addressing the problem, it is not making the power it should down the 1/4. Thanks Tim

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
383man said:
Sounds about right. My friend has an auto gto 04. The best he can get is a 13.4 w/shortys, intake, full exhaust, dyno tune, drag bags and radials. And I cant figure it out either I guess those converters must suck+the gear being really shitty. But he does 13.4@101 with 310 rwhp. I mean the converter must be terrible but the cars making the power on the dyno but not at the track. And he has 1.8 60' so they are not too terrible. Thanks Tim

Good race. The stock converter sucks ass big time. These guys running 3000-3200 stalls are knocking .4-.5/10s easy. They leave the line like a stone on the stock converter . . .

05GTOguy

Established Member
GTO's suffer from extreme heatsoak/crappy factory tune. IMO to make them slower on purpose to leave a large stock performance gap between the vette and GTO. Sadly it's common to see GTO's running poorly at the track, even the LS2 GTO if heatsoaked will only pull 100mph traps (same traps as an LS1!), it's unreal the amount of power lost.

Good kill with the Mach, tune plays a huge part in FI GTO applications, IMO only 450rwhp on the STS is a waste when a Magnacharger provides more power and a neater package under the hood. SC > Turbo

Users who are viewing this thread