01 exhaust works with the 03

Undy

Established Member
I just talked with Matt at SVT and he said that beyond a doubt that the 01's exhaust will work with the 03s. Where's the cheapest place to buy a FR 500 system or.... better than that does anyone have one for sale used????

edz

Retired.
Established Member
I have heard the term “freeing up the exhaust” I need to know what that means. I have an 03 Cobra coming at the end of the month, and I understand that they have the “pre fix 99 exhaust”, which is restrictive. On my current 98 I have welded in Flowmaster 40’s with the factory Cats. I am happy with the sound and performance. Exactly what must be done to free the exhaust? I would like to keep the cat’s (I am not a tree hugger or anything like that, but we may have emission testing resumed in Fla. And it just would be best) Would replacing the factory mufflers with the 40’s be enough to free up some horsepower? I understand that long tubes with high flow cats with a FR500 system would be the ideal, but I do not think that I want to go that radical. Bottom line if it is the same as the 99’s what would the weld in flowmasters give me.

03Cobra

Established Member
Is there a hot line to call SVT

I noticed you guys seem to call over to SVT and actually speak to folks who know something.

Is there a direct number?

I have an '03 Silver SVT vert on order and the exhaust mod really interests me.

Do you think that the dealer will install the R exhaust on the '03? and are we talking just cat back or whole system?

Thanks.

Silver 2003 SVT Cobra Convertible on order
Red 2002 SuperCrew
Silver 2002 Mercedes E55

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
SVT Information Center
1-800-367-3788
Hope this helps. Good Guys on the end of the line. Let me know what they say about production and the exhaust.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
So far the feed back is that it is the mufflers that are the "cork" in the system. Like I sad the best is long tubes and an entire system, but barring that a high flow cat back system seems to be adequate.

03Cobra

Established Member
SVT says the Cobra R system not likely to improve power much -- Suggested going with

A "more free flowing aftermarket system"

Looks like the mufflers are the cork.

Silver 2003 SVT Cobra Convertible on order
Red 2002 SuperCrew
Silver 2002 Mercedes E55

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I just now seen the new forum for the '03. I must be blind. I have been trying to get that info out of SVT. I spoke to Quentin twice. The first time he wouldn't say anything. The second time he said the 01 catback will work. I asked about the h-pipe and he said he didn't know about routing around the T56. I'm getting a Bassani X/P and catback as soon as I can.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I may have spoken too soon. Undy, did Mat say the whole exhaust or just the catback. I'll probably call in the next couple of days to see if I can get more than I did the other day. I need to know if an 01 X/P will fit the 03.

fangstang

Established Member
Het 03cobra, I see that you have an E55. My dad has a 2001 E55 in tectite gray. All I can say is that car is amazing! I hope you're enjoying it! I know I am!

P.S. You're also getting a 2003 cobra, in silver! Me too(coupe)! Good luck!

TIAMAT

Established Member
I have heard an 01' with the FR500 exhaust. It's not too loud but it gives off the sweetest sound and adds some ponies. I don't think there is a better engineered system. They designed it for their FR500 car that people have seemed to forgotten. It has 2 sweet mufflers with an x-pipe after them. If you have not heard this system, find a sound clip or someone who has it.:thumbsup:

03Cobra

Established Member
Hey Fangstang

The E55 is amazing -- not just the power, but the handling. WIth a 2.5 year old and a 5 week old, I needed the 4 doors and there were few compromises. The 03 Cobra is for putting my kids in the back and ripping around town on the weekends!!

eddy z

Established Member
good question on the exehaust deal... I am torn from either the Bassani X pipe with Free Flow cats and mufllers/cat back. or the FR500.... Does the FR500 system have free flow cats??

Also, I would be suprised if any 01 systems would fit an 03, be cautious on that...

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Too late for me. I ordered a catted Bassani x/p and catback and I am willing to take a chance. The T56 will not cause any clearance problems and I feel the heads are the same as far as the exhaust manifolds and I bet it works.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Yellow Horse
Too late for me. I ordered a catted Bassani x/p and catback and I am willing to take a chance. The T56 will not cause any clearance problems and I feel the heads are the same as far as the exhaust manifolds and I bet it works.

Since you'll be getting your in less than a couple weeks, I guess you'll be finding out real soon! Please let us know how you make out.

I don't hear anyone mention Borla. I had a Borla cat back on my '86 GT, and thought it sounded pretty good. I don't know how much extra power they provide, however. Anyone have opinions on Borla?

fangstang

Established Member
I already have an O/R X-pipe from BBk on my 2001, it'll be going on the 2003, along w/ an FR-500 catback, and BBK longtubes.

Cat Breath

Established Member
3 inch

I'm thinking of going with the FRPP 3 inch cat back system (so long as they tell me it will fit). I'm wondering, do I need a 3inch X/H pipe (or custom cat & piping since I dont remember ever seeing a 3inch X/H pipe) or will a 2.5 X/H pipe connect up ok to a 3 inch catback? Thanks.

i8u

Established Member
What is the differance between the 98 system and a 2001. I have the headers and cats from a 98 cobra. will this bolt on to a 03 or are there any differances? Has any one had success opening up the factory cats. I was thinking of cuting between each pair of converters to access them. can they be welded back together reliably ??? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread