'01 GT having problems with catted x-pipe

max_gt281

I've got a 2001 GT with basic bolt ons, 70mm TB, trickflow plenum, air raid CAI, SLP LM1, BBK catted x pipe, and a can diablosport 93 octane tune. I had been running a UPR off road x pipe until recently when I switched to the BBK catted pipe. The UPR pipe was on for about 50K miles and the car definitely ran rich while it was on, I could smell the excess fuel burning. The problem I'm having is since I put the catted pipe on I've had the cat on the pass. side break apart and sound like rocks rattling around. BBK exchanged the first on and now the 2nd one is doing the same thing. I do not smell fuel burning with the catted pipe like the UPR off road pipe, but I've had a couple people say it could be running rich on that side of the motor. I've read some reviews of the BBK pipe and some have had the same issue but I find it hard to believe that I could have 2 bad pipes and they go bad in the same place. Are there any simple things to check without having to take it to a tuner to check the air-fuel ratio? Or has anyone else heard of this same issue maybe?

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
A basic setup like that should be rock solid, and while there might me some HP that could be gained from a custom tune, it really shouldn't be necessary.

I have done 4 complete exhaust systems installs on 99-04 Mustangs and for each one we used a Magnaflow Catted Midpipe, this was simply because they are a manufacturer of OEM grade replacement cats and they work properly. We never had an issue from Magnaflow like what you are describing.

My experience is that BBK and other similar companies do tend to have a lower quality part, not that all of their parts are bad, but I think cats may not be a good place to cheap out. I was going to suggest running an off-road X-pipe, but I noticed you have an SLP LM1 exhaust, and while it sounds glorious, I imagine it would be very loud to deal with day-in-day out.

Unless you want to keep trying the "parts shotgun" I think you might have to get it checked with a wideband, however the PCM should throw codes if one back is markedly richer than the other. It might just a matter of BBK cats are letting you down, but without further diagnostic it is hard to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread