'01 Hood trim piece keeps blowing off...

stangbuff

Established Member
Anyone else having problems keeping the black plastic trim piece on their hood in place? Mine was lifting off the car on the ride home from buying it this past July. The dealer sold me a line that it was missing a clip and "fixed" it. It began flapping again today (otherside) and I decided to pull over and check it out before it flew off. No clips, just double-sided tape to keep it in place? Has anyone else had the issue and come up with a better cure?

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
If its just taped...then go to your local Home Depot and get the red 3m outdoor double sided tape. Prep the site very well, with rubbing alcohol and make sure its clean. Apply the tape and it will hold VERY well. I use it all the time.

Greg

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Originally posted by stangbuff
Has anyone else had the issue and come up with a better cure?

I kept losing mine, so I just got a different hood :-D

Seriously, just get a new piece. It sounds like you've removed yours one too many times (In many cases, once is one too many times). It's made of cheap plastic, and the tabs that hold it in place wear out fast. They don't cost much if I remember.

stangbuff

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback all. I was planning on ordering a new piece; I'll also be looking into the stickiest of double-sided tapes. I don't understand the reasoning behind the set up as constituted though (yes, I know it's cheap for mfg). There's so much space for screws or those plastic pushpins Ford likes to use instead of the tape that in contrast has so little surface for adhesion (because of the needless cutouts underneath).

PS – I’m with you Bluestripe; if I ever locate a mineral grey ’03 hood I’ll swap it right out.

Users who are viewing this thread