"01 --How much RPM can these take

SHELBY1962

Established Member
I just bought a '01 with 39,000 miles on it, that is anything but stock. Running 4:30gears, ceramic clutch, headers, Bassani exhaust, Ford racing cams. The bottom end is stock and not sure what it can handle. The thing that worries me is the redline is set at 7,200 rpm's. Is that to high for the motor ? Should I set it lower? It pulls strong so it's making power, just don't know if it can handle it. I'm used to old big blocks that didn't rev like these things do.

Carbon Driven

Established Member
I had the limiter moved up but I have taken it to 7,000-7,100 with no probs other then the drop of the powerband curve. Mine has 58K on it now, all mine and never 1 single mechanical problem at all. Oil changed at or before 3K/6mo for the entire 8.5 years of its life

Lumpydogs

Established Member
I just bought a '01 with 39,000 miles on it, that is anything but stock. Running 4:30gears, ceramic clutch, headers, Bassani exhaust, Ford racing cams. The bottom end is stock and not sure what it can handle. The thing that worries me is the redline is set at 7,200 rpm's. Is that to high for the motor ? Should I set it lower? It pulls strong so it's making power, just don't know if it can handle it. I'm used to old big blocks that didn't rev like these things do.

I agree with previous posts that 7,200 is ok for short burst provided that car isn't running Under Drive Pullies. The stock oil pump will not live long at those rpms with the less than stock dampening of UDPs. Trust me, I've broke two of them :bash:

99MystiC

Established Member
I agree with previous posts that 7,200 is ok for short burst provided that car isn't running Under Drive Pullies. The stock oil pump will not live long at those rpms with the less than stock dampening of UDPs. Trust me, I've broke two of them :bash:

Dont mean to jack the thread, i have 99 cobra with Steeda UDP. Would you please explain why the UDP hurt high rpm? Thanks

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
^It all depends on the size of the dampner.

Just saying UDPs is way to general.

Thread stay on topic. If you search pullies you will find pages and pages of the arguement.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I would spin my to 7300 from time to time but normally there was no need to go above about 7000 with my car and it power band.

Users who are viewing this thread