01 Intake

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
Looking for a new 01 upper and lower Cobra intake. Ford Parts Network and my Ford dealer quoted me $900 for both which I think is extreme. Anywhere else cheaper? I was going to Extrude Hone the intake (lower) and polish the lid while keeping my original stock.

What kind of power gains can I expect from this? Are there different stages Extrude Hone offers (Pirce)? Anybody have any experience with Extrude Hone?

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
I have a set on it's way to me. I am planning to do the same and I am selling mine to my friend after mine is installed. I plan to send mine off next week. I don't have the address or name in front of me, but I will send it to you later. I heard you can expect 15 to 20 hp at the wheels. Again, that is what I have heard:lol:

William

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Hey Bill,

Check out the post on the Corral that you made, JOEYS is the guy that everyone sends there intake to, and I've seen some awesome gains out of porting the lower.

Shawn

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Keep me posted on the cheapest place to get the stock intakes.. I am looking for a set at a decent price.. If I find a cheap source I will post it..

99SVTcobraVERT

if you go down a few threads to "newbie 4.6 question" i posted this reply and its right up your alley. and i also still have my intakes sitting in the garage along with a mac off road pro chamber pipe. and actually your price of 900 is low considering i used to work for a ford dealership and my cost was 400ish for the upper plenum, and about 550ish or so for lower, so even my cost cost was 50 higher than the retail you were quoted, so im scratching my head on that one....?? but here is what i posted:

"i have in my garage a upper and lower intake for an 99-01 cobra and the lower is blown out and i plan on p&p the upper and lower and etruding it also. and i plan on going to a single throttle instead of that dual. i my buddy did this set up on his 99 and netted 36rwp and 38rwhp and it pulled all the way to the 7100rpm shut off on dyno. and all it cost him was a couple of used intakes and some labor time with friends. pretty cool to be able to pop the hood and see no visual mods,no exhaust tunes and still pull 319rwhp and 322tqhp huh? after this he strapped on long tubes,hi flow bassani x, fr500 cat back, underdive pulleys,diablo chip,cold air, bigger mass air and 4:10 gears. car now dyno at 369rwhp and 372rwtq. and has now put in an order for forged internals,cams and fr500 heads. long story short it is VERY easy to make a 400rwhp dohc that looks stock under the hood and that will turn 8,000rpm. i cant wait to post the results of the heads and cams. i hope this info helps"

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Originally posted by 281cobra
Why not just wait for Ford to release the FR500 intake?

Well, this is not too expensive, compared to the FR500 intake. Also, Ford planned this release over 12 months ago and its isn't available. I need my car to be fast NOW!

William:lol:

slick4_6

Established Member
Willyum, who is going to do the porting for you? I am within an hour of Raleigh and would like to do the same.

Taz

Established Member
Joey is a perfectionist. He's done several intakes for people over on Corral and BON, including me, and I don't know of anyone who isn't completely satisfied with Joey's work.

When you get your intake back, it will flow A LOT better.

T-

:coolman:

Taz

Established Member
Willyum,

I haven't dyno'd since the install, because it's been too hot in the Phoenix area, so I don't yet have any hard numbers to offer you. It's just now beginning to cool off enough to seriously consider a dyno session. However, I do want to get the snake on a dyno with a wideband O2 analyzer ASAP, because I still need to tweak my open-loop fuel trims on my MAFterburner+ unit.

My best educated guess is in the neighborhood of 20 RWHP, but I have a number of complementary mods that helped me achieve such a large gain. I know my next major purchase has to be some serious rubber, 'cause I'm constantly roasting the hell out of the stock BFG's.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
You know, I was told that my current maf would be fine. My concern is how most who have purchased one has trouble with them (ie. idle, hesitation, etc.). I would appreciate you thoughts on that. I am getting Hooker longtubes installed this week. I plan to dyno after that intallation and then I will do it again after installing the intake. It's about 50 degrees here during the day and 38 to 42 at night in North Carolina.:D

William

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I too am having mine sent to JOEYS :) Right William :)

Anyhow.. I thought that a aftermarket MAF was needed to achieve the full potential of the intake?

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackSnake2001
I too am having mine sent to JOEYS :) Right William :)

Anyhow.. I thought that a aftermarket MAF was needed to achieve the full potential of the intake?

Well Shawn, thanks for telling me about the maf:shrug: Yep, Shawn is helping me with the install(well, I will probably be helping him:) ).

William

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by willyum
Well Shawn, thanks for telling me about the maf:shrug: Yep, Shawn is helping me with the install(well, I will probably be helping him:) ).

William

LOL.. I told you that some say a MAF is needed for full potential.. I don't know one way or the other :shrug:

Shawn

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
It's all good brotha. I am hoping to hear more about the maf too. I want to make sure we are squeezing as much hp out of our Cobras as possible. I got Jay's T/A on my mind:bash:

William

Taz

Established Member
Originally posted by willyum
You know, I was told that my current maf would be fine. My concern is how most who have purchased one has trouble with them (ie. idle, hesitation, etc.). I would appreciate you thoughts on that. I am getting Hooker longtubes installed this week. I plan to dyno after that intallation and then I will do it again after installing the intake. It's about 50 degrees here during the day and 38 to 42 at night in North Carolina.:D

William

The intake work shouldn't cause any problems with driveability. Mine's still very steetable. The idle is smooth as frog fur, and throttle response is instantaneous.

I imagine any idling problems you've heard of resulted from unmetered air entering the system, commonly due to installation oversights and/or screw-ups. "Hesitation" can arise from several different causes, but with respect to intake porting is usually bogging from too much fuel.

As far as the necessity of an aftermarket MAF meter goes, I really can't say for sure, although it certainly wouldn't hurt. I already had an 80mm C&L meter kit on my snake before I installed the ported intake, and I'm too lazy to swap the stock meter back on for an A-B comparison.

I DID begin throwing Lean DTC's for both banks after I installed the intake, but that was more related to the C&L and my JBA shorties than a result of the intake porting. The porting was just the final straw that pushed the PCM's LTFT's over the edge. Hence, the MAFterburner+ installation to bring the fuel trims back into spec. Tuning the closed-loop fuel trims with the MB is easy, and requires only an OBDII scanner in addition to the MAFterburner software, but tuning the open loop trims to optimize WOT performance requires a wideband. Right now, I'm running some settings I got from Joe Lynch, since he worked his out with his own wideband unit and many of his mods are the same as mine.

You could possibly end up with the same DTC's I saw after porting your intake. The LT's will certainly lean your A/F a bit. If you're chipped, you can simply get a reburn. Otherwise, you may want to look into installing the MB.

T-

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Thanks for that information. Shawn and I will benefit from it. I do have a custom chip that was burned locally by True Blue Performance. I heard that a new burn would be needed from the Long Tubes, but I figured I should wait until the intake is installed. I guess I won't punch it until the tuning is done. Thanks again.

William

Users who are viewing this thread