01 Lightning motor swap into 01 GT

MINI_ME

Established Member
Hey guys, I am about to get a 01 lightning motor/blower set up. I know I will have to change motor mounts, all the electrics, exhaust and hood. Is there going to be anything else ill have to change? Reason being I blew my GT motor and am getting a ripper deal on the lightning set up. Thanks-Jon

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Not to sure about what you have to do, but that set up will be sweet!! Post up some updates please. :rockon:

SMOKE

Old School ROUSH
Established Member
Originally posted by TrueBlue'01GT
You'll need a big ass hood, that thing is going to sit so high!

Those are the pics I want to see. :burnout:

rocket5979

Established Member
Hope you know that you will be running with probably something like a 6" cowl hood to fit that 5.4 with the Eaton on there. Even with a custom adapter and a friggin 4.6 intake chopped down it still just barely fit under the stock hood and were talking about a 6-8" difference in height between those two setups. It will fit, but good luck making it look right.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Good try with the 5.4. I love the engine. But I sure as heck would not like to have that fugly cowl hood. I would just go with a 4.6 bored and stroked out with with some good P&P heads, aftermarket blower cams and a nice positive displacement charger on top like the KB 1.7 L. Make alot more power and torque with that setup. Quite a bit more expensive, but twice as much power and torque too!!! Either way still a badass engine. Wish there was an easier way to fit it into the engine bay so it didnt stick out so far.

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
Originally posted by MINI_ME
Hey guys, I am about to get a 01 lightning motor/blower set up. I know I will have to change motor mounts, all the electrics, exhaust and hood. Is there going to be anything else ill have to change? Reason being I blew my GT motor and am getting a ripper deal on the lightning set up. Thanks-Jon
wow cant wait to see that...get some pics and VIDS for sure!!!!!!

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
mini me
I know you got a good deal on the L engine,
just a suggestion, sell the L engine , make some money on it since your getting a good deal. and get something your not gonna have to mess with so much getting it in your car and something that will fit better. cause all the money your gonna spend making the L engine fit, your gonna end up spendig more than if you bought a 03/04 cobra engine new.
if i recall there is a guy on here selling an 03 engine with tons of goodies for like $8500

just my 3 cents
J

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
That would be sweet, but I agree with swapping in a Cobra R 5.4 except you should turbo it. Someone turboed a Cobra R. I seem to remember seeing it in 5.0 & SF.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobras_Rule
hehe
some of you guys seem to think a 00Cobra R engine is easy to find

It's called a Navigator. They use a similar block, and they also might use a similar head design, but don't quote me on that.

87fcoupe

Mustang Madness
Established Member
Dude, if you can get that a good price(cheaper)than average engine,plus includes everything,than I would get it.How unique would that be and how different also.MM@FF had 1 install in a coupe and it finally ran 10.83@121mph with tuning and stock suspension C4tranny 8.8 rear(3.55) gears,28x10.5x15 M/T.Car weigh 3010lbs.So go for it,you will have easy low 11's car or more.

dalamar_96

Established Member
I think you'll end up spending ALOT of extra time and money.
Either take off the roots, and add a turbo or centrifical, or get a custom 4.6 block.
Just changing all the wiring and computer/sensors and all that is gonna cost alot.

I personally like sweet rides that are unique, but your looking at a ton more that just an engine swap here.

Either way, good luck

87fcoupe

Mustang Madness
Established Member
True but what he states he is getting a real good deal on it.So maybe he can get a good deal on the other stuff he needs.MM@FF did it and the electronics and computer and sensor didn't cost that much.(Junkyard)

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
all and all i think that would be tight, definatly pos pics and videos man...
good luck

MINI_ME

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the input, I ended up gettin the lightning motor(it had a hole in the short block from something hitting it) it came with another block so I swapped everything over and got it complete. Cost me $2300. all done, turned around and sold it 3 weeks ago for $4500.:thumbsup: however my car is still in a bunch of pieces but its comin back together slowly but surely, stock block mildly ported/polished heads, bullitt intake, full C&L intake w/80mm maf, 125 wet shot, 4.10 gears, auburn posi, strange 31 spline axles, 315 BFG DR's and a few other small things. I can't wait to see the look on my buddies face when I smoke him again in his 03 cobra.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread