01 smoking issue & random rant

Drpeckr

Established Member
My 2001 Cobra w/ ~85k on it is smoking once in a while.

I just started to notice it after I changed 2 things:
First thing I changed was going from a BBK shorty catted H to a BKK O/R X.
Second thing was I updated my ECU tune (SCT/BAMA) to the "Performance tune".
It seems to happen after I've warmed the car up, make a somewhat high RPM pass through 3rd gear and then come to a stop. All of a sudden I'll see a cloud of what appears to be blue smoke. It doesn't happen every time.

It also happened after I hadn't even been at WOT just sorta cruising in town and stopped before getting on the freeway. I also smell alot more exhaust smell, but I'm attributing this to switching to the O/R X from the catted H.

If it IS the valve seals, should I hurry up and get them replaced?

Don't know if I should be worried or not. (on a side note, I've always been a 87-93 Fox guy but was away for a few years after wrecking my last Fox :( .. I bought this 01 with 83k on it thnking it would give me some more HP out of the gate. I guess I was expecting ~300 RWHP to feel better than the ~280 RWHP out of my last Fox.. this turned out to be a mistake because I'm not used to having to keep the R's up in order to make power.. my 5.0's always moved when I stepped on them.. body/paint have seen better days, it's been SRA converted, the thing has BBK LT's on it and thats caused some headache due to the extra labor/part costs to get stuff worked on.. I am really starting to wonder if I made a mistake buying this thing instead of another Fox body or if picking the snake will pay off when I can afford to put FI on it.. I've started thinking about maybe seeing if someone with a decent Fox might want to trade.. any advice or comfort would be welcome /end-of-rant)

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Try putting an oil catch can on it. They can suck oil through the PCV valve into the intake and burn it that way.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
could be the tune running it a little rich...

I love a fox as I have an 88 lx but I have more fun winding the cobra out

Drpeckr

Established Member
I enjoy winding my Cobra out as well, but since it's got ~85k on it and in looking at the body I have to wonder how well the internals were maintained, every time I get above 5k I start to worry about something going click click boom.. probably been reading too many "I blew up my Cobra" posts on the damned forums!

I guess I can just throw on an Eaton or Whipple eventually and make up some of that low end that I miss from my Fox days while still keeping the ability to wind out to 6200+

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Keep oil in it and it'll run forever. Use 7 qts when you change the oil. Check the oil after the car is warmed and right after you turn it off. Fill it to the full point then. It will keep you full even when there's oil in the heads. Check it that way too cause they burn some oil.

Users who are viewing this thread