01Z vs new cayman RS

makevelie187

Established Member
I recently just returned from Willow springs ( the big track) for the first time. Was a nice track but not worth the drive from the bay area, i prefer buttonwillow much more and the road is much nicer as well. Anyways as i start off my run group and there was a new cayman RS in front of me. AS we get going around the whole track i was right behind him instantly waiting for a point by, plenty of times, never gave it. I wasn't going to try and pass him through any of the twisties because his car was pretty fast it would of been a little tough and didn't wana try and risky shit since this was my first time on this track with a pair of new A6's, he was on slicks as well.

Coming out of the last sweeper turn is the straight away and i said **** it im gonna pass him regardless if he points by me or not. Right when the straight away hits i was going about 90-95 mph at the end of the turn in 4th gear RPMs around 4500 ( sweet spot for my cam and just in general) and punch it slowly creeping past and passing him halfway down the straight. I could tell he didn't want to let me by as i looked at him i know he was pissed. By the end of the straight i had about 1-2 cars on him and kept pulling car lenghts that lap. thought i'd share.

my car 398 RWHP c5 z06, slicks, stock gears.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
I recently just returned from Willow springs ( the big track) for the first time. Was a nice track but not worth the drive from the bay area, i prefer buttonwillow much more and the road is much nicer as well. Anyways as i start off my run group and there was a new cayman RS in front of me. AS we get going around the whole track i was right behind him instantly waiting for a point by, plenty of times, never gave it. I wasn't going to try and pass him through any of the twisties because his car was pretty fast it would of been a little tough and didn't wana try and risky shit since this was my first time on this track with a pair of new A6's, he was on slicks as well.

Coming out of the last sweeper turn is the straight away and i said **** it im gonna pass him regardless if he points by me or not. Right when the straight away hits i was going about 90-95 mph at the end of the turn in 4th gear RPMs around 4500 ( sweet spot for my cam and just in general) and punch it slowly creeping past and passing him halfway down the straight. I could tell he didn't want to let me by as i looked at him i know he was pissed. By the end of the straight i had about 1-2 cars on him and kept pulling car lenghts that lap. thought i'd share.

my car 398 RWHP c5 z06, slicks, stock gears.

Your asking for trouble by passing him w/o a point-by. 9 times out of 10 if you are on the ass of another car they will be given the pass flag, was that given or no?

makevelie187

Established Member
i completely agree with you on that. I usually run with NCRC, but this time i ran with extreme,speed track events, and the whole lap not one passing flag was dropped and i saw most of the flaggers not even paying attention. The event didn't seem to organized to what iv been used to with NCRC. Anytime in NCRC they see a problem or a passing needed they won't hesitate to drop the flag, and i clearly was in the need of a pass like 4 times on that lap. So i just took it into my own hands to do it.

It was my fathers birthday that day and let him track my z06 in a different run group and one of the other drivers complained that my father didn't let him pass and the event coordinator came over and said " we have a complaint about you not passing a driver by" and asked what it was about. In return my dad basically passed everyone on the course and said he never encountered that. The event coordinator said i was watching your class the whole time and you did everything perfectly fine, the driver said he tried to pass on a no passing zone and i corrected him. He said there are a lot of whiners with this event today, and walked away. So i wasn't worried after i herd that.

makevelie187

Established Member
Yea that's the one, you looked like you were tearing ass everytime I saw it. :beer:

I was out there with 2 other Cobras.

haha Yea i drive it like that every time thats what i came for right? i was gonna walk over n see who owned them figured it was someone on the svt forum. Did you race your car? It was nice to see some terminators there i haven't seen one yet with NCRC, or speed-ventures. Iv been waiting for a terminator to come screaming past me because I figured if anyone was racing one it wouldn't be the stock blower because of heating issues and a KB or Whipple is definitely faster than me.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
haha Yea i drive it like that every time thats what i came for right? i was gonna walk over n see who owned them figured it was someone on the svt forum. Did you race your car? It was nice to see some terminators there i haven't seen one yet with NCRC, or speed-ventures. Iv been waiting for a terminator to come screaming past me because I figured if anyone was racing one it wouldn't be the stock blower because of heating issues and a KB or Whipple is definitely faster than me.

I was out in the Blue group in one of the DSGs. The other has a ported Eaton and the Comp Orange is running a GT500 Eaton. Both of those guys were instructing that day, the Orange wasn't on track much.

I've run with Speed Ventures and 3 with Xtreme Speed.

makevelie187

Established Member
I was out in the Blue group in one of the DSGs. The other has a ported Eaton and the Comp Orange is running a GT500 Eaton. Both of those guys were instructing that day, the Orange wasn't on track much.

I've run with Speed Ventures and 3 with Xtreme Speed.

I was in the red group, my father in the black, i usually run with ncrc have had about 10 track days with them, once with speedventures and once with Xtreme. I was a little disappointed with the hype of the track being way faster than any other track in California, while the last turn was definitely fun taking it at 110mph, i felt thunderhill was just as fast, and the sweeper at buttonwillow i come out at 90 and hit 120 by the next turn. Definitely good to say i raced on it though.

Brakelate

Established Member
Nice Vette! 03 DSG Snake and I were in the Pits and were commenting on how mean your car was sounding. You appeared to be running hard. I wanted to come out and chase you around a while with the camera on, but I was busy. Not sure I could have stayed with you for any good footage anyway!

Was the Cayman white? I think I saw that move. Typically the staff will wait and talk to any rude drivers in between sessions. It doesn't help anyone that session, but it can usually be resolved. Like they say, if someone is being an ass and not giving room, a point by, or something else, then the best bet is just to enter the hot pits and re enter and you probably will never have to deal with them again. Most problems are in the beginner groups anyway, as most advanced groups are comfortable making closer passes and getting it done (point by or not) where they feel comfortable.

We had been discussing the event over at SoCalTerminators.com where I normally hang out. But, it was glad to see you out there, and even in here in a Ford site.

Good on Ya! :pepper:

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
Wait a minute. With cars on tracks (never ridden one on a track), are you only allowed to pass if;

1) Guy in front gives you the point by, or,
2) Corner worker gives you the pass flag

That kind of blows if you have to wait for someone else to 'let' you pass.

With bikes, passing is broken down by group rating.

C) Beginner - no passing except on straights
B) Intermediate - Pass only on outside or straights
A) Advance - Have at it, just don't crash the other guy

tallguy2.3

Established Member
Wait a minute. With cars on tracks (never ridden one on a track), are you only allowed to pass if;

1) Guy in front gives you the point by, or,
2) Corner worker gives you the pass flag

That kind of blows if you have to wait for someone else to 'let' you pass.

With bikes, passing is broken down by group rating.

C) Beginner - no passing except on straights
B) Intermediate - Pass only on outside or straights
A) Advance - Have at it, just don't crash the other guy

I think it really varies depending on who is putting on the track day. I drove with NASA and Club Racing Arizona for a couple years and they would vary passing rules by group, track, people driving that particular day, weather, etc... So if the track had a couple decent straights, but it was 40 degrees and people had been acting stupid in the first run session, they would limit passing a bit more. Conversely, we had times where everyone was driving really safely, giving good point-by's, no spins, etc... and they opened things up more.

OP- congrats on the domination of the Porsche. It's so fun to pass big name cars like that. Especially when you're driving a Focus! Even still, glad you could rep American made cars on a road course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread