'02 F250 PSD Work Truck - Good Deal?

werstlna

Established Member
Check out this Craigslist ad: 2002 F-250 diesel 7.3

So, SVTP, is this worth looking into? I've got a good diesel mechanic that should be able to fix this without a huge markup.

It's a 2002 single cab long bed Power Stroke, 4x2 automatic with 102k miles. The owner says it has bad injectors on cylinders #1 and #3. Also says it needs some kind of new wiring harness. Truck has front end shimmy between 45-55 MPH. I'll go look at it in the morning.

Would it make sense to fix this up and resell it? KBB fair value is around $7,000 for trade in. I'm not saying it would be worth $7k when fixed, but certainly more than $3,500 plus ~$1,000 in repairs......right?

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Diesel engines can cost so damn much. If he is admitting to bad injectors and a harness the real problems could be substantially more extensive.
To be fair I have had nothing but bad experiences with Powerstrokes.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
If that is really all that is wrong with it its probably a good deal. 7.3's are bullet proof you will get another two hundread thousand out of it IF the engine has been taken care of. But that is a lot of ifs.

=04 Cobra Nut=

Crazy Construction Guy
Established Member
Hook that bad boy up to a computer and see what it says. Might be as simple as injector o-rings and a bad glow plug harness. I have a 97 PSD and have been through that. Makes it run like crap, but is entirely repairable.

I have 140K on mine, and it runs fine.

NXSVTCOBRA

I would not touch that truck running rough, I've been through several 7.3's before it's all said and done you will have more money in it than buying a good running one.

It could be a multitude of things on that truck for it to run rough from a fuel related problem, from the oil pump on up to a stuck nozzle.....

If it *only* needs a fuel injector or two don't you think they would have changed it to make a clean sell?

By the way you are going to spend more than $1,000 in just parts alone. You will need to replace all injectors because if one is going bad they'll all follow suit.

I just went through that with this truck.
Picture047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
If that is really all that is wrong with it its probably a good deal. 7.3's are bullet proof you will get another two hundread thousand out of it IF the engine has been taken care of. But that is a lot of ifs.

My dad's 2000 PSD has over 450k on it now. ;)

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I was just offered a deal on an 02 F-250 with the 5.4 and 160,000 miles for $5,500.00. The one you're looking at does not seem to bad a deal. Especially if a diesel has been taken care of is good for 300,000 miles or more. I've seen companies around here buy a body in white and transfer the diesel drive train after the body and suspension gets wore out.

Users who are viewing this thread