02 GT Convertible Suspension

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
This is my dumb post of the day.

My GT is at the factory height. The stock height is beginning to irritate me. I am looking at a mild drop, such as what the Ford FRPP C springs will provide.

I have considered a slight trim of the factory springs (likely half a coil). I know the Cobras do well with cut coils, but I'm not sure about a GT convertible.

Common sense tells me to leave the car alone and save for the Ford C springs. The "want it now" compulsion wants to experiment. I don't like to take risks though. When I do, I prefer it to be a calculated risk.

I am more concerned with the rear springs than the front. The front springs are straight forward.

What problems would I encounter, and is a slight drop in cutting springs worth the effort?

Yes, I know, abuse will follow for this question.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
This is likely what I will do, but curiosity got the best of me. If you don't ask, you will never know the answer.

True.
Also, you probably won't be happy with the C springs, they don't really lower it too much. Most people whom install them end up swapping them for a spring with a lower stance.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
True.
Also, you probably won't be happy with the C springs, they don't really lower it too much. Most people whom install them end up swapping them for a spring with a lower stance.
I'm not looking for a big drop. I'm really only after about an inch. I also plan to keep the isolators in place.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I am also looking for stance over height. ...and if I can avoid C/C plates I see that as a win.

At the moment the green paper stuff is running thinner than I would like. This has lead me to looking at poor man mods.

I have a perfectionist / OCD nature in everything I do. The only way I would cut the springs is if I had a solid consensus thay gave absolute proof of good results.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
If my weekend doesn't pick up in terms of work, I may get bored and hack stuff apart.

I don't do well when I'm bored. Chaos ensues.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I will admit that I contemplated cutting the springs. After A lot of thought, and a bit of math, I have decided to leave them alone. At the moment the GT is my daily driver. I really don't feel like screwing anything up.

As for cheap EBay springs; I will pass. I haven't messed with that site in a long time. I would rather find a used set from a trustworthy member, or just wait until I can work it into the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread