02 GT Questions...need some insight

02Stang88

Established Member
I have an 02 GT w/ a 5 speed and was looking into getting a bbk 78mm throttle body and a set of 3:73 gears. My concerns are is the intake going to be too big without having a major power adder? And are the gears going to be to low for interstate speeds? My brother has 3:73 in his camero and he says it feels like he needs another gear on the interstate, granted it's an automatic and is a different engine and trans than my mustang. Any first hand experince with either of these parts is greatly appriceated, I will list my mods already on the car so you know what I'm working with. Thanks guys

Mods:

CAI
Long tube headers
Shorty o/r x-pipe
Pypes M-80 mufflers
SCT tuner

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
I have an 02 GT w/ a 5 speed and was looking into getting a bbk 78mm throttle body and a set of 3:73 gears. My concerns are is the intake going to be too big without having a major power adder? And are the gears going to be to low for interstate speeds? My brother has 3:73 in his camero and he says it feels like he needs another gear on the interstate, granted it's an automatic and is a different engine and trans than my mustang. Any first hand experince with either of these parts is greatly appriceated, I will list my mods already on the car so you know what I'm working with. Thanks guys

Mods:

CAI
Long tube headers
Shorty o/r x-pipe
Pypes M-80 mufflers
SCT tuner

if your not gonna upgrade the intake manifold its a very slim gain you just need to figure the cfm on the TB to see if you need that much TB. 3.73s are the best all around gear for the street imo. i had 4.10s and that would wind out pretty good on the highway so 3.73 would be better for gas and rpms on hwy

02Stang88

Established Member
Ok, thanks. I don't think I'm going to go with the TB, from what you and others have said and from what I've been reading, I don't need that much TB since I don't have any power adders. Will be getting the 3.73s though. Thanks again for the feedback.

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
Ok, thanks. I don't think I'm going to go with the TB, from what you and others have said and from what I've been reading, I don't need that much TB since I don't have any power adders. Will be getting the 3.73s though. Thanks again for the feedback.

np good luck if you do the swap your self ask questions i can help ive done plenty

Users who are viewing this thread