02 L knocking probs

Henrik

Established Member
Hey,

I’ve got a bit of a problem. It relates to a 02 Lightning, and the problem is that it tends to ignition knock once in a while. If the ECU is being reset, it seams the car stop knocking for a while. Now I’ve been told that on more recent cars there is an (I don’t know what its called in English but in Danish its) ‘knocking sensor’ or ‘- transducer’. It’s an acoustic transducer that listens to the engine. If its detects some knocking sounds the ECU alters the ignition timing. So my question is this: Dose the 02 Lightning has such a knocking sensor(?)? and could this be the cause of the problem? And of course: do any of you have other suggestion?
Further more, the (again I don’t know what is called in English) ‘timing belt’ that drives the super charger, tends to squeal a little bit (I have ordered a new one but it take some time to get it shipped here to Denmark). Could this be the cause of the ignition knocking?
Please excuse my English skills – I hope you get the meaning despite my vocabulary and spelling.
Hope you can help me. Any suggestion is welcome, as I’m pretty stuck here, and we don’t have any mechanics here in Denmark that can help (I think there is a grand total of 10 – 15 Lightnings here :pepper: ).
Drive carefully.
CB (Hank' brother :bash: )

Dusten

Established Member
Hmmm, this will get moved to the Lightning forums, and your english is actually very good. ON a lightning i dont know if the Supercharger has a dedicated belt, or if it is driven with the rest of the pulleys, but either way, the timing belt would run the camshafts on most car, not the supercharger. They are just called Knock Sensors here.

Henrik

Established Member
wow that was quick. Thanks. No it dose not has a dedicated belt (if I understand you correct) the SC is driven whit the rest if the pulleys, and that is the belt I ment. Again: Thanks!!

Dusten

Established Member
if replacing the belt doesnt fix the squeal, you can get a pulley that applies more tension to it, to stop it from slipping.

Henrik

Established Member
Thanks again Cobra_Dusten - I'll keep that in mind.

Ohh yes, by the way - sorry about the misplaced thread. Please admin. feel free to move.

Last edited:

203Cree

Established Member
Hey bro. More than likely the small chirp you're hearing from your belt is actually the Accesory drive belt that runs the alternator/water pump/power steering, etc...

Everyone's truck does it. Not much you can do about that one.

We do have a dedicated belt for the superchargers, and unless the truck has aftermarket blower pullies, either the upper pulley or the lower, there shouldn't be any belt slip there either, and if there is it should be minimal at most.

I believe we do have knock sensors on our motors. It could be that. Lemme ask you this real quick. What octane gas is being run in it? The problem you need to fix is the knocking it's self, not the knock sensor. Detonation is deadly for the Lightning motors.

Rob

Henrik

Established Member
203Cree said:
We do have a dedicated belt for the superchargers, and unless the truck has aftermarket blower pullies, either the upper pulley or the lower, there shouldn't be any belt slip there either, and if there is it should be minimal at most.

Just shows how much I know :bash: The L has stock pullies.

203Cree said:
I believe we do have knock sensors on our motors. It could be that. Lemme ask you this real quick. What octane gas is being run in it? The problem you need to fix is the knocking it's self, not the knock sensor. Detonation is deadly for the Lightning motors.

Rob

I’m running octane 97 - I haven't tried ?octane-booster? but I thinking that, since the problem seems to go away, when I reset the ECU, it’s a sensor problem, or broken hose or something.
Re. the knock sensor. If this is faulty, couldn’t it make the ECU try to correct a defect that isn’t there? and therefore alter the ignition timing, and again therefore cause the ignition knock? :bs: :shrug:

Thanks!!!!! Rob

203Cree

Established Member
Yeah, if the sensor is bad, then it will send the wrong info to the ECU.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying with your first post. Does the motor actually knock from time to time, or are you just referencing the knock sensor as the suspected cause of the problem?

Henrik

Established Member
203Cree said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying with your first post. Does the motor actually knock from time to time, or are you just referencing the knock sensor as the suspected cause of the problem?

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear.

The motor is actually knocking form time to time, and I am referencing the knock sensor as the suspected cause of the problem – if it indeed has a knock sensor.
The knocking seems to stop when I reset the errors in the ECU.

Dusten

Established Member
If you are running 97 octane, i cant imagine needing octane boost, we only run 93 at the very best here

203Cree

Established Member
I don't think the knock sensor is going to CAUSE the knock, it mearly protects the motor if it detects any knocking. But, I'd say you've got bigger problems than the knock sensor. You need to know why it's knocking in the first place. The knock sensor will tell the computer to pull timing, which should, if anything, make the knock go away, not make it worse. See where I'm going with this?

I don't suppose you know the other L owners personally do you? You could try putting in a different chip and seeing if that corrects the problem. It sounds like a bad ECU to me since you say it goes away after you reset it.

And don't worry about me not getting your first post the first time thru. I just wanted to make sure that's what you meant. You're english is actually quite good, better than a lot of other's I've seen on the board, and it's their primary language.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
93, or 91 octane gas should suffice in the states. I assume the octane rating in Denmark means the same thing it does in the US, so your are filling up with 97 octane gas. If so and you are still on the stock pulleys and tune, there should be no detonation. Very interesting problem. Is this knock occuring during wide open throttle acceleration?

203Cree

Established Member
Viking said:
OK thanks - 1 down, ... what about ... 10274 to go :fm: :-D

:shrug:

And to clarify, when I asked if you personally knew the other L owners, I was refering to the other 10-15 you mentioned in your first post. :beer:

Henrik

Established Member
203Cree said:
I don't think the knock sensor is going to CAUSE the knock, it mearly protects the motor if it detects any knocking. But, I'd say you've got bigger problems than the knock sensor. You need to know why it's knocking in the first place. The knock sensor will tell the computer to pull timing, which should, if anything, make the knock go away, not make it worse. See where I'm going with this?

I don't suppose you know the other L owners personally do you? You could try putting in a different chip and seeing if that corrects the problem. It sounds like a bad ECU to me since you say it goes away after you reset it.

And don't worry about me not getting your first post the first time thru. I just wanted to make sure that's what you meant. You're english is actually quite good, better than a lot of other's I've seen on the board, and it's their primary language.

I do actual know a couple of L owners, so you are completely right – I try to switch ECU whit one of them. If nothing else, that will eliminate that possibility – and I could always hope for the best, right? Thanks!!

And thank you for the compliment. I’ll let you in on a little secret: I’m sitting here whit a dictionary in one hand – writing the post I Word, and then copy-paste into the forum :rolling:

Henrik

Established Member
03Sssnake said:
93, or 91 octane gas should suffice in the states. I assume the octane rating in Denmark means the same thing it does in the US, so your are filling up with 97 octane gas. If so and you are still on the stock pulleys and tune, there should be no detonation. Very interesting problem.

Year I think that the octane rating here and in the US are the same.

03Sssnake said:
Is this knock occuring during wide open throttle acceleration?

Year its only with the pedal to the metal (old term??) - dose this change anything do you think?

Henrik

Established Member
203Cree said:
:shrug:

And to clarify, when I asked if you personally knew the other L owners, I was refering to the other 10-15 you mentioned in your first post. :beer:

I’ve got to remember to hit the quote button – it was actually a reply to Cobra_Dusten post.

Henrik

Established Member
Well I'm off to bed - its 2.15am here.

Thank you all for your input.

Have a nice evening. :beer: :beer: :beer:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Viking said:
Year I think that the octane rating here and in the US are the same.

Year its only with the pedal to the metal (old term??) - dose this change anything do you think?

I agree with 203cree and the others on this. If you are on the stock pulley, tune and using high grade gasoline, the Lightning should not knock under WOT. That coupled with fact reseting the computer seems to temporarily fix the issue would indicate as 203Cree suggested that you have an ECU problem, probably with fuel and timing tables :shrug: I believe you can swap it out with another L's computer, but the ECU you put in will have to be married to your keys(PATS) to start the truck. I don't know the procedure for that. One of the others can chime in.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
like Cree said
yes our supercharger does have its own belt and it is a possablity that it needs to be replaced
yes our trucks have knock sensors and they only detect a "knocking condition" they do not create it BUT they are not turned on in our trucks so dont even bother thinking about them.
i know in some parts of the world that the octane rating is different so just make sure that your 97 is atleast as good or better than our 91.
and if thats your bad english you could teach some people in this country how to speak :thumbsup:
hope this helps a bit, any more questions just ask

Users who are viewing this thread