02 mustang gt oil pressure issue

Sluggie24

Established Member
You should do what was suggested before and take the oil filter off and carefully cut it open. I have a feeling you are going to find metal in it. Can also drain the oil into a clean container and sweep the bottom with a magnet.

With such a tight main bearing clearance I think your main and rod bearings were starved for oil. Maybe if you had used 0w-20 oil the oil could have gotten into and through that tight space but eventually you would have had an issue no matter what due to the supercharger.

If you find metal in the filter or oil you are going to have to tear the entire engine down and inspect everything. If you paid someone to do this build they should take responsibility for not building it correctly.

rbpf3379

MUSTANG KING
Established Member
Ok i took the oil filter off as mentioned didnt find any large chunk of metal i already drain the oil didnt find any chunk of metal in the oil only a light shredding of metal but not much i decided to take off the base pan and i loosed a connecting rod and the front main bearing there isnt any scaring to the crank

Sent from my SGH-I337M using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sluggie24

Established Member
I also forgot to ask, with the cams you used, did you have enough valve to piston clearance? Did you change the springs to handle higher lift?

Sluggie24

Established Member
You won't find large chunks of metal. You will find small shavings and fine particles if the bearings had a problem. Since you already opened the engine you should take off al the main caps and rod caps. If you found metal some are going to be damaged.

rbpf3379

MUSTANG KING
Established Member
Gm i been up from 6am and i pulled off all the main caps to check for scaring none still smooth except for the race bearing with the guids attach it showed light signs of tear i checked the connecting rods no signs of tear i lift off the driver cylinder head and 2v were bend i took out the valves now going to get new ones.

Would it matter the type oil pump i installed should i have upgrade to a cobra oil pump?

Sluggie24

Established Member
You should spend the $ on a good oil pump to protect all the parts you have in there. Why did the valves bend? Did they hit the pistons? Are there valve reliefs in the pistons?

Without seeing first hand what everything looks like I'm going to suggest going over the whole engine. If there is metal in the oil passages it has to be gotten out. Bearing surfaces for damaged bearings need to be fixed and proper clearance bearings installed. If valves hit pistons then you need valve reliefs cut into the Pistons and the whole assembly needs to be re-balanced. Probably more that I'm forgetting.

rbpf3379

MUSTANG KING
Established Member
10da1fb69bd467a673110715ae5ba8ef.jpg
6135facef42a323cdc6eebe6eb026af8.jpg
2a41237762ad79be15a59513903913e7.jpg
5840191ff9fd0199a4c9ca0a93908280.jpg

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Brother it looks like you pulled that head out of a swamp. I would take that to a machine shop to get checked out or scrap it. Looks like you have some crud in the oil passages too, hard to tell. I think you were starving that head for oil and the valve was not getting lubricated and it hung up, could have been timed wrong, but looking at it.. looks like any number of possible issues. Good call in the new 4v oil pump, make sure you get the kit with the bigger pick up pipe as well and I would get the aluminum spacer for the pick up from MMR.

rbpf3379

MUSTANG KING
Established Member
You are absolutly correct the head was starving for oil when i took the heads off to carry to the head shop i check the vains that the oil travel through and it was clog with clothes of oil so checked the head also and that was clogged also so i took out all the screw block and tensioner and blow it out and there was huge chucks of oil cloth i cleared it out and take it to the head shop should be ready in the next hour

rbpf3379

MUSTANG KING
Established Member
I lookin into gettin a new kellogg forged 8 bolt crank but when the motor is put back together if it doesnt have any issues ill have a lil fun with it until im ready to tear down to put in the new crank

Sluggie24

Established Member
Any pistons that got hit are damaged and should be replaced. They now have sharp edges on them from the impacts which will cause hot spots and detonation. They also could have been weakened from the hit.

The crank can possibly be saved as long as the damage isn't too bad. A good machine shop should be able to resurface and polish damaged journals.

Those heads look like they need to be totally redone. Hot tanked, valve job, check/replace valve guides and resurface. If you were thinking about TFS heads already now is the time to do it rather then throw $ at those to make them right.

Users who are viewing this thread