02 Sensor Extension Question

AKDMB

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I had a question regarding 02 extensions that I wanted some help with. I am in the middle of a kit car build and I am going to have to end up extending the 02 Sensor connections in the Ford Racing Coyote harness. With the way I am having to run the harness, the sensor connections are simply too far away from the headers. I have always heard to stay away from 02 extensions and that they are nothing but trouble. I know with factory 11-14 cars you have some extra slack you can free up, so you never really have to use them, here though I don't have that luxury. The headers I am going with will end up keeping the 02 sensors themselves within 1" of the factory location, relative to the motor, but the wiring that leads from the 02 sensors to the harness will have to be extended. The main question I have is does the problem with 02 extensions come from moving the 02 sensors themselves away from the motor? or do the 02 extensions being in harness in general just cause problems? I am tuning the car and since the 02 sensors are pretty much in the stock location I don't think I'm gonna end up messing with the 02 transport delay function and I don't think using extensions will necessitate this since the sensors themselves are still close to the motor, but who knows. I want to go with plug and play extensions, are there any that work better than others?

Thanks in advance for the help :rockon:

scott_0

Established Member
you can use Raptor sensors, they are the same sensors with longer leads, extensions are just bad news, as they are cheaply made and are a bad connection and they have been known to come unplugged as well

AKDMB

Established Member
I have heard that Casper electronics will make extensions any length. Once the motor is in we will measure and get them ordered. Right now we are looking at 2 feet maybe for the driver side 02 sensor. I will see if the 02's respond weird when I go to start tuning I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread