03/04 Cobra hat in 99 Tank-yet again a question

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I have an 03 hat with pumps and Fuel level sender........I know about breaking out the 99 cobra basket assembly in the tank for the 03 to fit.

MY question.....there are 2 separate electrical connectors....one set(main set) are identical on the 03 and 99 BUT there is a second connection that looks similar to but not identical?

The second one is near the Blue vent canisters? The 99 is fatter looking....the actual connection looks similar but again I don't think identical?

Anyone know from first hand experience.....dropping the tank is easy but I hate surprises while working on the car...Thanks

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Answered my own question.

No the adapters are not compatible. The main harness is compatible BUT the smaller one is not. I had to cut one of my 99 fuel hat assembly and then wire it on to the 03 fuel hat assembly to use with my 99 fuel tank.

Very easy with three identical colored wires just have different end connectors.

Started up and ran like a champ.....

omj

Established Member
Next time, use a small screw driver and you can push the wires out of the connector and put them into the correct connector without cutting/soldering.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
They must have changed that between 99 & 01. I have an 03 tank in my 01 and all the connectors matched up.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Next time, use a small screw driver and you can push the wires out of the connector and put them into the correct connector without cutting/soldering.

Didn't think of that.....wasn't bad to cut and reconnect...only 3 wires all color coded identically just different connectors...

They must have changed that between 99 & 01. I have an 03 tank in my 01 and all the connectors matched up.

Must have.....absolutely would not connect.....Don't hear too much about the Black sheep of the Cobra family known as the 99.... Always 03/04 and some 01 but I do feel there is less knowledge about 99.

Even though we have the best taillights and fronts.........but that damn 99 rear "Mustang" bumper cover....why Ford? Why?............... No it is not a "Fobra"

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've heard there's a wiring difference between 99 and 01+. But I don't know enough to comment with.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I've heard there's a wiring difference between 99 and 01+. But I don't know enough to comment with.

I was expecting you to comment yesterday...I thought you knew all? Damn...JK....but absolutely the 99 connector is different. The main connector is the same but the shorter one is different.

Not hard to change.... you just after factor it in when working on the swap.....Car fired right up and drove fine for a few miles. Didn't get it going too fast/highway speed much

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was expecting you to comment yesterday...I thought you knew all? Damn...JK....but absolutely the 99 connector is different. The main connector is the same but the shorter one is different.

Not hard to change.... you just after factor it in when working on the swap.....Car fired right up and drove fine for a few miles. Didn't get it going too fast/highway speed much
Nah. Just act like it. At least that's what my wife says.

Users who are viewing this thread