03-04 cobra IRS question

Turbosnake281

Established Member
is the 03-04 cobra IRS the same length hub to hub as oppose to a 03-04 gt SRA. i thought i recalled people saying that the IRS is narrower, if so by how much.
thanks

musclefan21

Established Member
IRS is not narrower my friend. i think they are pretty much the same. i know for a fact 97-98 cobra SRA is narrower than the IRS.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
IRS and 99-04 solid axles are the same width. 94-98 (and Fox too actually) solid axles are 1.5 inches narrower than the IRS and 99-04 solid axles.

Last edited:

Turbosnake281

Established Member

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Yes, I'm sure of it. I installed a 94-98 width (was actually from a Fox chassis Thunderbird, same width though with the correct axles) SRA in my old '04 Cobra, it pulled the wheels in 3/4" per side. The IRS/99-04 SRA will push the wheels out 3/4" per side in a SN95. You can go to the SN95 section on this forum and find pics of cars with IRS with some searching and be able to see it's wider.

I can't help you with your wheel dilemma. All the offset talk means nothing to me without being in front of the car and able to measure everything. I can tell you though the fender lips on both the front and rear of '99-04s are wider than 94-98s, so 99-04s can get away with a little more wheel and tire than 94-98s. So keep that in mind with your pics you posted of the Redfire Cobra and silver GT. They would probably stick out in the front on a SN95.

Foxbody front LCAs can be used to pull the wheels in on a SN95. They will bring the wheels in 1" per side IIRC. Early Foxbody K members have the LCA mounting points further inboard than late Fox and SN K members, which will decrease track width. You can also use different spindles to mess with the track width. 96-98 will increase the track width vs 94-95.

So if you're wanting a specific offset/backspacing to work on the front you could possibly get it to work by messing with the track width. If you're wanting to get a specific width wheel under the front, you can mess with track width all day long, but the fenderwell is only gonna swallow so much wheel/tire. Ultimately you'll need to measure everything yourself to confirm what will and won't work and/or what needs to be done to get things to work. Or in your case get a buddy to do it under your watchful eye since you're in a wheelchair.

95SC

Banned
IRS is narrower then 99-04 SRA not by much but it is . CCW's are pretty much fender flush on my 03 Cobra with IRS and the same rims stick out a little pass fenders on 01 Cobra with SRA

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
IRS is definitely narrower then the 99-04 straight axle. I don't know by how much but everyone who has done a SRA swap from IRS will probably notice the wheels are more flush with the fenders.

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Learn something new everyday. So from widest to narrowest it'd be 99-04 SRA, IRS, 94-98 SRA.

03 Cobra rear track width listed at 60.3 by Motortrend.

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - First Drive & Road Test Review - Motor Trend

03 Mach 1 rear track width listed at 60.6 by Motortrend.

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Road Test Review - Motor Trend

And some Corral threads.

Cobra INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION track width - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Track width of 99-2003 cobra independent rear - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Users who are viewing this thread